The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 08:26 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pick my 1st Fly

Whip finishing: Funny thing is, most people that comment seem to say a tool
is much more difficult to use. A whip finish for me is sort of a snelled finish, with the wraps advancing foward over the standing part of the thread. So often I see people use a half hitch (with or without a half hitch tool) and call it a whip finish. I do toss a half hitch or two onto a hook while tying, mostly
to hold the thread in place while I move to another stage in tying. There's so much to learn if you're interested in fishing and tying.

Here's a video of Bob Clouser and Lefty Kreh whip finishing. Lefty clearly demonstrates how the wraps should be advanced for a proper whip.

Last edited by FrankB2; 12-24-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:25 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

The team has given you a lot of good advice, I will only add this, the first few flies you tie need to be flies that will catch fish in your area. Wooly buggers will catch fish just about anywhere, GRHE (hares ears), PT nymphs, etc will also. I would tie some of these, and then go fish them. Nothing puts the bug in and sets it in solid, like catching fish on flies you tied.

Dave
Old 12-25-2010, 09:18 AM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

The easiest fly to tie is a San Juan Worm. It is so simple it's stupid. It's a great pattern to get success with and learn some basic skills, and you don't need to buy a bunch of special materials. The Hare's Ear is not the hardest pattern but not the easiest either. Several midge patterns like a rojo midge or a biot midge are also not too tricky. When I started, I started trying to tie complicated flies too soon and got frustrated. Thus it took me years to get anywhere near good.

Also, right off the bat, learn to use the whip finish tool well early and get in the habit of finishing the fly well. Another lesson I learned the hard way. I actually got a guy at my local shop to teach me to whip finish and he showed me a couple of nuances that I never saw online. Now I feel like a pro. If you have a shop or expo that offers free or cheap fly tying sessions--go. Nothing beats face to face instruction when it comes to tying. Enjoy it!

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock
Old 12-25-2010, 10:17 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Stopped by the fly shop on Thur aand picked up a few things to get started. Picked up stuff do do a san jaun worm, eggs, green weenies. Figured it will help me buiild the skills I need to get started. I played around a little lasy night and went pretty well. I pretty much just practiced and then cut the tread off and started over. Had a litle trouble keeoing my bug yarn fron turning. I'm a slow learner but I will figure it out. Merry Xmas!!!
Old 12-25-2010, 02:58 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

If you want to see how to tie certain flies youtube is a great tool. Check out Andy Burks page. He has a bunch of videos showing him doing all the tying and there is no one better to learn from in my opinion.