The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8/0 thread breaking!

I am going to agree with a new Bobbin with Ceramic or Teflon...and adjusting the bobbin for just enough tension that it can hold it in the air. I use 14/0 all the time (room for error with it, even on #30's) and I seldom break. Not saying I don't we all give just a little too much tension and it breaks.
But where your is breaking all the time, I am betting the bobbin is cutting it. 8/0 is small but not that small.
Bobbin and Scissors to me are the big expense in fly tying...next to the vise of course.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:27 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
. . . Bobbin and Scissors to me are the big expense in fly tying...next to the vise of course.
Couldn't agree more with Joni's observation, particularly with where you need to spend your money. Along those lines, check out the Rite Bobbin (images for the Standard & Midge sizes below). It has an adjustable tension setting, which I find invaluable with the tailwater-sized flies I tie (22-28) and consequent light threads. The calibration on these bobbins' tension adjustment is very good. The only downside is that when/if you need to change thread spools, it's a bit more work to replace the spool and then re-set the tension than merely replacing the thread spool in a normal bobbin. Of course, with a normal bobbin, you can't really calibrate the tension. I guess the answer to this is to buy several Rite Bobbins, which would make sense if you tie more than I do currently. BTW, like most quality bobbins, it has a ceramic tube to lessen wear that could cut the thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rite Bobbin - Standard.jpg (6.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Rite Bobbin - Midge Shorty.jpg (6.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey, Fly 2,

Nice bobbins I'll be looking into those myself. Where you been? I haven't seen you post for awhile.

Ard
Old 03-26-2009, 09:08 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Hi, Ard,

Thanks for inquiring. As it happens, was off on a "birthday cruise" for my wife, and when I got back, with work catch-up and business trips, just got out of the habit. Frank "woke me up" with a PM e-mail, so now I'm back, boring everyone with irrelevant observations per usual.

Seriously, it's good to be back after a longer lay-off than I'd realized. There's no better fly-fishing resource than this Forum, with folks like yourself sharing your expertise.

Neil