The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 05:50 PM

Benford is on a distinguished road
Default 8/0 thread breaking!

I just picked up some 8/0 thread from the fly shop because I'm in the process of building up my materials since I just started tying.

I put this stuff on the bobbin and it's pretty tight on there I'll admit, but my larger thread diameters do fine but every time I try to tie with this stuff it breaks in half.

Do I need to get a new, bigger bobbin or somehow clean mine? Even putting very light pressure this stuff snaps so whatever advice anyone has I'm all ears.

Thank you
Old 03-24-2009, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: 8/0 thread breaking!

A Griffin ceramic bobbin will be a help and you may want to splay the prongs that hold the thread a little to lesson the tension.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:59 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Is it the spool thats tight in the bobbin? If the spool is wider than the spools you've used before you may have to "stretch" your bobbin a little bit. Also check both sides of the spool, some times the stickers in both sides of the spool are not centered and the ends of the bobbin rub on the stickers not the spool causing extra tension.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:43 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto on spreading the bobbin open. I used to be surprised at how much
bobbins needed to be splayed open, and I only use Griffin ceramic. Having
said that, you won't be able to apply as much pressure to 8/0 as you do
with 6/0. Knicking 6/0 on the hook's point won't always cause it to break, but
8/0 isn't as forgiving. Spread the bobbin until there's very little pressure on
the spool, don't pull too hard, and watch the point.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:07 PM

FlyBoyWray is on a distinguished road

I also take and run the bobbin and run it down my nose. (put your nose where your thread would go) Your skin oil acts like a natural lubricant. Your thread will spin like a top....
Old 03-24-2009, 08:46 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Does your thread fray at all from the bobbin or is it just tight? You can splay out the bobbin arms Until the thread is loose & if it's too loose wrap around one of the legs once. As you tie keep a finger on the thread wrapped around the arm for thread control. also check the sides of the spool for damage. If your thread is fraying at all, try threading a piece of kevlar thread thru the bobbin tube & pull it tight & spin the bobbin around it to polish the inside of the tube. There is always the chance you got old thread too.......
Old 03-25-2009, 06:55 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

One more thing is to check the thread its self, I have bought a couple spools of thread over the years that were just plain bad, I just bought a 3/0 thread a month ago that broke very easy anytime I put a little tennsion on it.
Tied three flies with it and threw it in the trash. Try the things others have said first though lol
Bear
Old 03-25-2009, 12:09 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

In a word... Benecchi!
Their 12/0 seems stronger than most 6/0 I've used, plus it lays flat, doesn't build up much and can be split for dubbing loops. The colors are very nice too.
It's hard to find at most fly shops who get their materials from Mr. Bigtime Wholesaler, but it is WELL worth the search!
Old 03-25-2009, 12:47 PM

MontanaMoose will become famous soon enoughMontanaMoose will become famous soon enough

Hello Jackster, also you may be used to pulling down to lock a material to the hook and that pressure may be too much for the
8/0 thread. Just an idea, hope it help.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benford View Post
I just picked up some 8/0 thread from the fly shop because I'm in the process of building up my materials since I just started tying.

I put this stuff on the bobbin and it's pretty tight on there I'll admit, but my larger thread diameters do fine but every time I try to tie with this stuff it breaks in half.

Do I need to get a new, bigger bobbin or somehow clean mine? Even putting very light pressure this stuff snaps so whatever advice anyone has I'm all ears.

Thank you
Old 03-25-2009, 04:26 PM

Benford is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the help guys!

The spool isn't any wider than the other spools of larger thread that I tie with, but the bobbin is really tight so splaying the bobbin or getting a larger/wider one are probably gonna be my best options it seems.

In the mean time feeding extra thread by turning the spool with my hand instead of pulling on the bobbin seems to be working fine.

Thanks again for all the advice everyone