The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2006, 11:06 AM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough
Default crawfish patterns

here's my second attempt at a crawfish. i think it looks half-way decent would like some opinions.

the fly itself was made with a fuzzy yarn that bigdon gave me along with the red ribbon for the tail section. i added on several wooly bugger style hackle feathers palmered in. under all of this is 3 pieces of .20 lead wire. the gold eyes bigdon picked up at the local hobby store for a buck or so.

bigdon did say that he bumped into someone just getting into fly tying and the guy was suprised at the stuff that could be used that he didn't even think of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00584.JPG (17.7 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00585.JPG (22.0 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00587.JPG (17.1 KB, 226 views)
Old 02-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: crawfish patterns

Looks great. I bet it would work just fine tied on a shorter hook too. I'd tie some up in a pale color as well. Predator fish sometimes get excited when they see those, as it is usually a crawfish that has just shed its hard shell.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:22 PM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

was planning on doing several different sizes of hooks. when you say a pale color are you talking about a pale brown or copper? or anything in a earth tone color.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:13 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Good looking fly.

I always tie them with a couple of strips of rabbit fur for claws. I also like to make the on the smaller size. The fish love to gorge on baby dads. They don't pinch back as hard.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Pale brown, lighter copper, even pale greens. Green crawfish are very common when they need to blend in with a greenish bottom. Some even will be bluish, but those are mostly tan so there's no need to bother with the blue coloration.

Another thing to keep in mind is to fish the thing so that it moves like a crawfish. The more puffs it makes in the mud on the bottom, the better. Gamefish will often key in on those puffs when after crawfish. This is why a Wooly Bugger can be a very effective crawfish imitator sometimes.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:46 AM

idabelangler will become famous soon enoughidabelangler will become famous soon enough

One of the deadliest ways to fish a crawfish fly, in moving water, is to take a page from the trout nymph fisherman and use a dead drift without an indicator. It will take many smallie in a day's time.

Also as far as crawfish "flies" go, I use a soft plastic crawdad made by Yum in a 2 1/2" size in a color called:"CRAWDAD".
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:36 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

I would like to ask what size fly rod you are using to chuck a 2 1/2" plastic crawfish ? Is that particular crawfish weighted ? Or are you using a weighted line ? It's unmistakeably real looking.

I've tied several patterns for crawfish, but have not come up with one that I really truly like yet. Those of you who have come up with a pattern you like what size hook do you typically use ? Do you weight the fly with lead on the shank, or do you just use a weighted line ?

Please post a picture & recipe for any you think are great ones. The smallies will be ready to chomp on them soon :-)

Always in the water,

Tie One On
Old 02-02-2006, 11:00 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

Here is what I use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crawfish.jpg (4.8 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg az_CDCrawdad_original.jpg (27.4 KB, 221 views)
Old 02-02-2006, 11:09 AM

idabelangler will become famous soon enoughidabelangler will become famous soon enough

I use an 8wt for soft plastic "flies"
Old 03-30-2006, 08:33 PM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough

fshfanatic, I like the looks of the pattern on the right. It does not look real difficult to tie..Could you break down the tying sequence and materials that you use.