The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2009, 11:41 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fast Rivers and "Go To" flies and technique

Pakfancjh - yep I heard that too, that is why they call it the "toughee" river. Water was up and dirty today, only had an hour to kill, but got no interest from the resident trout. threw prince nymphs, copper johns, and a goblin at em, but no joy.

Got to run in to work for a few hours, so, depending on when I get home, maybe I can get out again tomorrow for a couple hours.

Critter - running at about 500 where I was today, and water was so cloudy you couldnt see your feet just a couple feet under water. Gonna have to tie up something real flashy to get their attention I think

Dave
Old 04-17-2009, 11:50 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
Pakfancjh - yep I heard that too, that is why they call it the "toughee" river. Water was up and dirty today, only had an hour to kill, but got no interest from the resident trout. threw prince nymphs, copper johns, and a goblin at em, but no joy.

Got to run in to work for a few hours, so, depending on when I get home, maybe I can get out again tomorrow for a couple hours.

Critter - running at about 500 where I was today, and water was so cloudy you couldnt see your feet just a couple feet under water. Gonna have to tie up something real flashy to get their attention I think

Dave
I guess we cheat in MO... When we are up at 500 it is water still coming out of an underground spring so it is cloudy but you can still see your feet... Now at 1000 you don't want to even think of fishing... I tried 650 and got spooked on my wade upstream..
Old 04-18-2009, 03:19 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, at around 650 or so I get real nervous wading deeper then mid thigh. The truckee is a freestone and we have had some weather a few days ago, and then hit 70 for a couple days in a row. I'm thinking the snow up on the mountains is melting a bit due to the sudden increase in temps (from 30 to 70) and it is going to be a couple more days before everything clears up.

Dave
Old 04-19-2009, 10:47 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I went out today with a buddy and had a fantastic time. Fished about 6 hours and hooked quite a few. I hope next weekend is nice too, the wife and kids are leaving town for a few days so I have a lot of fishing time.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:56 AM

I may be able to get out next Saturday if the weather is nice. Got out this sat, and only hooked one in two hours on the river. spent some time showing my buddy how to roll cast and drift, so it wasn't a waste of time, but I do like to hook a few more when I go out. I think I had some other hits, but they were soft, and I didnt get the hook set in time.

Dave
Old 04-20-2009, 02:21 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

If you go west of town throw a prince nymph or Stonefly on and you should do alright. Out of the 9 fish caught 8 were on the prince. I even managed to hook a green size 14 caddis pupa floating in the river. Stabbed him through his head.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:43 PM

Allright, you talked me into it, west of town next trip out.

Dave
Old 04-21-2009, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering if the water is too cold, maybe the fish are still a bit lethargic. Any chance you can take a reading next time out?

I bet it's still in the lower 40's

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-21-2009, 07:44 AM

Fysh, temp is right around 45 degrees right now and that is after 3 days of 70-80 degree weather, the water has been pretty cold lately.

I can feel it in my toes after a bit of wading
Old 04-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I've never fished the Truckee but would like to someday. Would it be worth traveling downstream a ways where the water may be a bit warmer and the insects more active?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*