The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 12:33 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Good flytying book?

Pretty funny, Gary.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:12 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Good flytying book?

Selective trout : a revised and expanded edition of the best-selling classic that revolutionized fly fishing for trout / Doug Swisher and Carl Richards ; illustrated by Dave Whitlock ; foreword by Joe Brooks.

By
Swisher, Doug.

Here is a great book that will improve you entomology, there are good photos and fly recipies baised more with concentration on imitation
it is a book written for the USA (we have it in the libaray and no book on flytying will escape me)

the one ment is the revised edition

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 02-15-2011, 12:06 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

You mentioned you fish a lt of tailwaters...I always think Caddis when I hear tailwater; take a look at "Caddisflies" by Gary LaFontaine. The man was thorough in his research and a heck of a good guy.

Dan
Old 02-15-2011, 12:17 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

There are two versions of this book, but if you want to tie flies, this is a MUST. Fellows provide very clear instructions, TONS of great colour photos, etc., on fly tying/construction.

Amazon.com: The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference (9781571881267): Ted Leeson, Jim Schollmeyer: Books Amazon.com: The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference (9781571881267): Ted Leeson, Jim Schollmeyer: Books
Old 02-24-2011, 10:48 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough
Lightbulb Re: Good flytying book?

bjweller

bj,

if you're still following this thread you might take a look at Allen McGee's
"Tying & Fishing Soft-Hackled Nymphs"
new and has excellent photos and text

Eric's book is one of the essentials
Liesenring's book is on the money
Joe Brooks is still relevant
Schollmeyer has a fine tying book about nymphs, good for learning tying techniques

plenty of out of print books are killer but you will have to look for them elsewhere

hope i don't sound like a know it all, i'm reading these now is the reason for their mention

buzz

obtw, R. Kaufmann has probably reached guru status

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory
Old 03-03-2011, 08:15 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi.
Incidently I have most of the books mentioned plus about 200 more on Flyfishing & Flytying around the world.
Without a doubt the best book on how to do nearly anything associated with Flytying is "The Benchside Reference Book" by Leeson & Schollmeyer,however two great books by Dave Hughes I reccomend are.
1.American Flytying Manual
2.Essentual Trout Flies.(Photos by Jim Schollmeyer).
Another really good book is Tying & Fishing Outstanding Flies By Doug Stewart.
The book with the best Artwork,out of all the books I have is Fur & Feather By Peter Leuver,not because he is also an Aussie,his drawings are really excellent.
The only thing is some of the Flies,not all are also Aussie Patterns which I think would catch Rainbows,Cutthroats,Browns & definately Greyling in the USA.
Cheers.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:06 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Good flytying book?

+1 on your choice above, in particular the Bench Reference guide. Actually keep that one on my bed side night stand. Pick it up, open it up to any page ... and you WILL learn something.

Hell if it is ... half the time you'll end up getting out of bed and parking you butt in front of the bench to give it a try.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:14 PM

h dot verseman is on a distinguished road

Bench Reference is okay. Barr flies is awesome. Modern Midges is okay if you aren't a beginner. Kelly Galloups books is really good. Charlie Craven's book is nice as well. Oh, and Midge Magic. Those are the first ones I put in my collection.