The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Flies (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/flies/)
-   -   Good flytying book? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/flies/89668-good-flytying-book.html)

bjweller 01-04-2011 02:25 PM

Good flytying book?

I have some gift money at a book store that I am looking to spend. I am probably an intermediate fly tyer and I am looking to improve my skill, but mostly my knowledge of etymology and seasonal flies. Anyone know of a good book that doesn't just show how to tie flies but gives good explanations of bug imitation and seasons? I fish in tailwaters and freestones in Colorado and I fish year round.

gt05254 01-04-2011 02:39 PM

Re: Good flytying book?

Ernie Schweibert set the bar pretty high back in 1955 when he wrote, "Matching the Hatch", which has been reprinted many times. It describes the ecology and morphology and several other ologies of insects important to trout, including his drawings of life stages of those same insects, and hatch dates both east and west U.S.

There are no tying instructions in the book, but Ernie did include recipes for tying the bugs he describes.

For what you've described that you're looking for, you probably need to look no further. But where's the fun in that?
Entomologically yours,
Gary

ausablebrown 01-04-2011 03:09 PM

It has been a while since I read "Matching the Hatch", but I remembered it being "eastern USA" heavy. Maybe there were as many western hatches in the book as eastern, but I didn't have that impression. Or, maybe my remember-er is not working properly. The book is awesome and if you have not read it, you should...kindof the Bible of fly fishing entemology. I'm curious as to any suggestions beyond this though because I havn't found any newer sources that were as thorough as his initial undertaking.

The pics "Ernie's" book leave a little to be desired, they are all hand painted by the author I believe and are not the best resource for identification purposes. Also, tying has come a long way since 1955, and it would be nice to have a resource on tying all of these bugs in various stages that wasn't 6 decades old.

Anyone know of a modern day "Matching the Hatch" equivalent?

gt05254 01-04-2011 03:25 PM

I suspect that there are a number of more "localized" books than Ernie's. Scanning my library files, I don't find any that have the scope, if you will, of Matching the Hatch. I have a batch of books that show good photos of bug X and the corresponding fly X, but lack the ecological angles that the author of this thread mentioned he was looking for. They must be out there, though.

Side note: Ernie's first edition of "Nymphs" got me through aquatic ecology at Cornell. He always laughed pretty hard when I told him that. (Note the unveiled effort at building hero-status for myself).

One other book that I'd like to mention, just as a darn good book to read if you fly fish for trout is Datus Proper's "What the Trout Said - about the design of trout flies, and other mysteries."

Bibliographically yours,
Gary

ooh ooh, I just remembered - back when I ran the American Museum of Fly Fishing (there's that hero status-building thing again), we ran a beautiful spread of photos of flies Ernie tied for us and described somewhat ecologically in The American Fly Fisher. you could probably google that museum and ask 'em if they have that issue for sale. You can't have mine. Unless I have two. I'll have to look. I don't know where to look though. Never mind.

Jimmie 01-04-2011 03:28 PM

Here's the one that I think is the best:

Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best Fly Shop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

I had a number of books that seemed pretty good until members on here recommended this one. I got it, and never looked back. It covers tools; material selection; many good patterns. Charlie is from Colorado.

MoscaPescador 01-04-2011 10:37 PM

Tying Nymphs - Kaufmann
Tying Dries - Kaufmann
Barr Flies - Barr

JoJer 02-14-2011 03:34 AM

The Orvis Streamside Guide to Trout Foods and Their Imitations. You might be able get a look at the book here-http://www.archive.org/. Itll give you the bug and the fly, and when they hatch. The recipes and instructions you'll have to go elsewhere for. The patterns in this book are very basic and available in most books.

oldman50 02-14-2011 09:29 PM

Ernies book definitely. When I read that book I started picking up rocks on the stream and looking for the nymphs I was reading about. I also still use Nymphs as well. Those big hand painted illustrations are great. Matching the Hatch is the best book for the beginner.

fishngolf16 02-14-2011 10:08 PM

Tying and Fishing Tailwater Flies by Pat Dorsey is his newest and a great source of information. The book provides pictures of the steps for tying and even illustrations on how to effectively fish them in different conditions. The book covers seasons and the patterns that are best suited to that season. He goes over colors and size as it pertains to the conditions and seasons as well. He discusses set up and technique as it pertains to the flies. You should find the book very helpful for all parts of the tailwater experience.

tilden 02-14-2011 10:16 PM

Here ya go: