The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 07:43 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Box 4 Buggers

What is a good box for Wolly Buggers. The few boxes I have seem to be a little small and overlap to much.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:55 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Box 4 Buggers

go with the clear plastic boxes with the foam in the middle or only one side such as a cheap flambeau or my personal favorite fly box, the sa system x. the system x boxes are a bit small if you're needing something for big honkin' buggers - say bigger than size 6. for my big flies, i like the larger flambeau for streamers and buggers. and they're about $7-15 at wal-mart. lol
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 04-20-2009, 08:42 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I like the the Orvis lightwieght boxes they come in several sizes and are arond 12 bucks . I use the large for salwater boxes and the medium for warmwater. they have held up well and hold alot of flies.
http://www.orvis.com/store/productch...subcat_id=6030
Old 04-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

If you've got room for them (its a pretty big box) Cliff's Bugger Barn is hard to beat- Cliff Outdoors Bugger Barn Fly Box : Fishwest Online Fly Shop

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:55 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Plano has a canvas type fold up fly box. They call it the Plano Guide Series. Very large inside. I use it for Buggers; Chernobyl Ants; etc. Just the big ones. You can recognize it by the belt clip on one side.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:46 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I have a couple C&F design boxes and when I tried to set it up last night it just seemed stuffed. Box was definitely made for smaller flies.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:43 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker12 View Post
What is a good box for Wolly Buggers. The few boxes I have seem to be a little small and overlap to much.
Unless it drives you crazy overlapping wooley buggers won't do any damage. The Marabou and the hackle come right back as soon its wet.
Don't cringe guys but I sometimes throw a half dozen buggers in a zip lock and throw them in my pocket right before I run out to the lake...
Old 04-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I had been eye balling the bugger barn for my streamers and was just about to buy one when I remembered that I had a spare black plastic carrying case that originally had been for protecting a labeler. The nice thing is that it already came with the foam on the inside, all I had to do was remove the dividers. Now I have a container that is slightly larger than the bugger barn and I already have it stuffed. Need to get out fishing!

Larry
Old 07-06-2009, 02:32 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
If you've got room for them (its a pretty big box) Cliff's Bugger Barn is hard to beat- Cliff Outdoors Bugger Barn Fly Box : Fishwest Online Fly Shop
But Cliffatarians worldwide recognize that sometimes it's better to be referred to as "Bugger Boy" than "Skunk Boy"

I'm not so sure about this...
Old 07-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

There's also a smaller version they developed recently called the "Crab Shack" Cliff Outdoors Crab Shack Fly Box : Fishwest Online Fly Shop

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.