The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 08:35 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Wax Worm Imitation

I fish a lot of Wax worms when fishing stocked streams. Does anyone have a wax worm imitation that I could use with the fly rod?
Old 05-08-2009, 09:54 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wax Worm Imitation

Check these babies out -

waxworm cluster - The Michigan Sportsman Forums

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 05-08-2009, 10:23 AM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

those are awesome! very realistic. i tie a similar, but not as realistic pattern. ill try to post a pic of it this weekend. its basically tan ultra chenille wrapped up the hook with some legs and a black thread head. it works for bluegills haha
Old 05-08-2009, 12:42 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Those are some great looking wax worm imitations. I might try to order a few and see how they work. Not sure I like that they are hard varnished.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

About 20 years ago I Austria,on the day we arrived there was a storm so the day after the stream was rather trouble..no use taking a dry out of the box.I decided to tie nymphs to solve the problem.I used a caddis hook size 10,brown thread.I cut little stripes of foam which I turned round the hook and in my tying box I had peaces of women's stockings in a beige color,I cut some stripes and turned them over the foam,it made a nice plump body,tofinish I circled it with the brown thread made a little brown head with some short cock fibers.You can't imagine how many fish I caught on that day...I tried to find out why this nymph was so efficient...a friend of mine found the answer.It looked like a wax worm of course,and it was soft too,like a real one but that was not the most important...he thought that the teeth of the trout were"hooked"in the nylon stocking so it couldn't spit it out...that was the secret...
Old 05-08-2009, 08:45 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I don't have a picture to show you, but if you take a latex glove and cut it into strips, it's easy to wind overlapping layers to make a pretty good looking waxworm. You can add a dark head, or just use a marker.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 05-08-2009, 11:03 PM

Dixiejack has a spectacular aura aboutDixiejack has a spectacular aura about

I just ordered a dozen. I have been looking for a meal maggot imitation and this is dead on. The real ones are deadly on bream and crappie. I have caught a lot of jack fish (chain pickeral) with them. I will let you know how they do.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:15 PM

Dixiejack has a spectacular aura aboutDixiejack has a spectacular aura about

I have been catching bream and crappie like crazy with them. Even caught a 3# LM bass and a couple of channel catfish with them.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:29 PM

Been waiting for your report. Glad they are working for you.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:35 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

You can tie the body with rubber bands, too. Best deal for lots of sizes and colors for cheap: Dollar store. You won't need to weight the fly as much, either 'cause the rubber doesn't float.