The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 11:40 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Stillwater fly selection

After reading some of the responses in my Stillwater vs. Moving Water thread, I've decided it's time to get reacquainted with fishing the larger lakes around here.
What would be a good place to start as far as flies and where can I get recipes for some of these offerings. Also hook types and size as most of my river stuff is small. Really small.
Thanks for the help.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stillwater fly selection

Yat: You will need a float tube, pontoon or boat to fish lakes effectively, sure you can catch fish from shore or wading but not like you can with some means of floatation. Chironomids, callibaetis nymphs, scuds, attractor nymphs, damsel flys and streamers (right at daylight or just before dark). I like to use Barr's Net builder for scud patterns. I like to use this web site for the lakes west of Walden. North Park Anglers
For the rest of Colorado I like to use this web site (it is updated every Tuesday throughout the summer) to see what is happening.
Statewide Conditions - Colorado Division of Wildlife
When I fish lakes I like to anchor the boat and then drop a string overboard with a weight on the end and then I measure the depth of water. I like to fish in water that is 15 ft or less. For starters, once I know the depth of water I adjust the indicator so I'm a foot above the bottom. From there if I'm not catching anything I adjust the indicator to move my rig up in the water column until I start catching fish. If that doesn't work I change flies or move position. For patterns I primarily use Charlies Fly Box. Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials
Good luck with the stillwater fishing! You will find it is a good way to get away from the crowds. If you really get interested in stillwaters I would recommend reading: Morris & Chan on Fly Fishing Trout Lakes and Fly Fishing Stillwaters for Trophy Trout by Denny Rickards.

Larry