The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 08:49 AM

kory10 is on a distinguished road
Default Which fly to use?

Hey everybody! Well I am fortunate enough to have the oppurtunity to be heading out to montana this summer to do some fly fishing to try to lay into some big trout!! I'll be going around the end of july or august so what are the flies that for sure need to have in my arsenal when i get there?
Old 01-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which fly to use?

Here is a hatch chart from the Madison River Outfitters web site that should give you an idea depending on the rivers you will be fishing.
Fly Fishing Yellowstone Madison River Outfitters – Hatch Chart for Montana and Yellowstone

Larry

Old 02-14-2011, 02:25 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I have the Fly Fish TV video right now from Netflix. It's a good primer for the Madison, hosted by Kelly Galloup.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:34 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

kory10 ,

Specifically...where are you going in Montana? The exact location will help narrow down the patterns needed for July and August. Elevation, to a great degree, is one determining factoid. Lakes or moving water ? There are hatches of one particular, IMPORTANT, Mayfly on the Madison and Gallatin that do not occur anywhere else - during that period...

Click the image to open in full size.

Where to be at 5:30 AM, when everyone else is sleeping...

More info please...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Last edited by planettrout; 02-22-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:13 PM

h dot verseman is on a distinguished road

If possible, stop at the Slide Inn and see kelly galloup. If you can't, still pick up his streamer collection, namely.

Zoo Cougar, Heifer Groomer, Sex Dungeon, Circus Peanut, Peanut Envy, Swimmy Jimmy.

I love his streamers for all around use, yet alone for trophy hunting which he does almost exclusively with them.