The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 06:18 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough
Default Nymphs

Quick and potentially dumb question. I pretty new and don't know much about all the different types of flies yet. When I first bought my rod/reel I got a pack of Black Stonefly Nymphs from Cabelas. I used them today and the flies sank pretty quickly. Are nymph flies supposed to float or sink? Was I supposed to use floatant on these things? Either way I got a bass from a bass but didn't land it.
Thanks, Cabot
Old 05-31-2009, 07:49 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nymphs

Nymphs are supposed to be fished under the water. As a general ruls, they shouldn't be greased with floatant. The fact that your stonefly nymphs sank on you is not a problem; they should sink.

Nymphs are part of the underwater life of flies; one of the parts that we try to imitate when we put an artificial fly on the end of our leader/tippet. Nymphs can actually imitate two of the underwater stages of most mayflies, caddis and stoneflies; the larvae form and the pupae form. The adult fly; the one that's in the air at ponds, lakes, rivers and streams, is imitated by dry flies; which weigh so little that they can float on the water's surface; just like the natural fly.

Where I fish, little black stoneflies are one of the first insects to appear on the water; usually sometime in early March. However, these little black stones, are tiny and the nymphs that preceed them as also fairly small. So, if you have a selection of large black stonefly nymphs from Cabelas, you'll want to be sure that there are large stoneflies hatching; otherwise you'll be showing the fish something that they aren't used to seeing, which will cut down dramatically on your ablity to hook fish.

Most of what I said above is, more or less, specific for trout. However, if you want to fish for bass, then there are a whole series of bass bugs that are designed for both smallmouths and largemouths. The key is having the right fly to suit the day and the species.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:18 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

That makes sense, I just wasn't sure. I managed to get two bites with it, those were my first two bites period. So I guessed they were working right.
Thanks a lot, Cabot
Old 06-03-2009, 06:13 PM

twospots has a spectacular aura abouttwospots has a spectacular aura about

bekiu
there are basically two types of flies. Everyone disagrees with me on that, but too bad. There are dry flies (or topwater) and there are wet flies.
Nymphs and streamers are both wet flies. The stonefly yo got represents a bug that is in a nymphal stage and has not yet emerged into an adult and flown away.... Kinda...

USUALLY, dry flies and nymphs represent bugs and are USUALLY used for trout fishing. But most fish will eat bugs... Most bass will eat a nymph that looks nothing like any bugs in his local waters too, so you should be able to do alright with them. Good luck!
Old 06-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Twospots,
I have to ask you this; Where would an Emerger fall into the 2 classes of flies?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 06-04-2009, 12:49 PM

twospots has a spectacular aura abouttwospots has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Twospots,
I have to ask you this; Where would an Emerger fall into the 2 classes of flies?
See: told you everyone disagrees with me!

If you fish it under the surface it's wet. If the fly is supposed to get wet and drop below the surface od the water it's wet.

So the next question would be : What about divers? We could go on from there... Let's just say I mean BASICALLY! An easy answer for beginners that won't confuse them is wet and dry. Giving a beginner a list like:
Dry
Nymphs
Emergers
Streamers
Bass bugs
Poppers
Divers
Spyders
Saltwater
Tube flies
Etc...
is a bit overwhelming. To me they are just wet and dry flies. And even flies tied as dry flies can be fished wet... So my definition is not exact... just trying to make things simple.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Twospots,
When showing a beginner, it should be "basic and simple", so in that context I would agree with you.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 06-05-2009, 04:45 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with fyshstykr.

Another way to conceptually separate flies for someone new to fly fishing is: flying and non-flying. Adults, duns and spinners make the first category and everything else winds up in the second category.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:57 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I agree with fish and Pocono, and to you also two spots. For the beginner keeping it simple is the best... I started all my boys fishing soft hackles, easy to fish and easy for them to tye when they decided to try that. Soft hackles to me are the best of both worlds.

Dan
Old 06-05-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
I agree with fish and Pocono, and to you also two spots. For the beginner keeping it simple is the best... I started all my boys fishing soft hackles, easy to fish and easy for them to tye when they decided to try that. Soft hackles to me are the best of both worlds.

Dan
Dan, you ought to connect with Greenwood. He's the soft hackle meister around here. He got me going on them about 2 years ago and I use them a lot now; particularly when there isn't any top water action to speak of.