The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 01:19 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Purple Haze-lators

Hey guys, I tied these yesterday while thinking about fishing for big browns and Apaches at night. Both are tied with purple simi-seal, black rubber legs, purple deer hair wings, and purpler peacock herl. One is tied with red thread and wire, with purple DNA flash; the other with black thread/wire and no DNA. I tied the black hackle a size big, hoping a bushier profile mght be easier for fish to see in the dark.

Anyway, I'm fishing for constructive criticism; anything you more experienced tyers can tell me to improve my tying? Thanks in advance.

Click the image to open in full size.

"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 01-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Purple Haze-lators

I like it! I bet you hook into some nice sized browns fishing that pattern at night!

Larry

Larry
Old 01-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I like this pattern toodon't like to critisize...the purple wing might be a bit shorter and the head more visible...that's how I feel it.
Larry stop advising guys to fish at night...you're a poacher
Old 01-27-2011, 04:28 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
I like this pattern toodon't like to critisize...the purple wing might be a bit shorter and the head more visible...that's how I feel it.
Larry stop advising guys to fish at night...you're a poacher
Larry, keep right on advicing on the night fishing... Leave the little fellows to JP during the day...
Nice looking flys...

Dan, another night fisher...
Old 01-29-2011, 07:06 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Larry, keep right on advicing on the night fishing... Leave the little fellows to JP during the day...
Nice looking flys...

Dan, another night fisher...
Thanks for compliments, guys.

@jbbfly - Thanks, I took your advice and I think they do look a little better, especially the head.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark