The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Price's LMB flies

Not sure, the nylon may absorb water.

I also think I've used that kind of rope before and its pretty dense, heavy stuff. That could interfere with the fly floating properly.

Here's a few outlets for the stuff mentioned in the recipe- Pepperell Braiding BB6-100-001 Bonnie Macrame Craft Cord 6mm 100 Yards

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:49 PM

rjackh is on a distinguished road

do yall know of any craft stores that sell this stuff? the smallest quantity i can buy from that macrame super store is 50 yds... i was going to get white, black, lime green and red, thats 200 yards of this stuff and each fly only takes a couple inches of cord...
Old 02-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nylon and Polypropylene are very much like plastic. None of them are going to absorb water. I am going to tie one this afternoon with hardware store poly and test how it floats. On thing you can do is buy the white if you can only get the giant bulk spool. It can be dyed the same way you dye fly lines. We may even be able to find enough people to on here to buy parts of of the spool, making it more reasonable to get the giant bulky thing. I will post what I find with the hard ware store poly fly. I have both white and yellow hanging around here someplace.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:35 PM

that would be great please let us know how it turns out. the 50 yd spools of that macrame braid are only like $4.25 a piece so i really dont mind buying 2 or 3 different colors, i would just rather not since i will probably never use that much of each color. i kind of have adhd so when i do sit down to tie, i never turn out that many anyways lol
Old 02-28-2011, 10:05 AM

diver dan- howd that fly turn out?
Old 02-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I used the hardware store poly, cost me 14 cents for a whole foot of it. I substituted the schlappen for marabou, because I am low on schlappen and am saving it for spey flies. Other than that I followed the recipe. I tossed it in a bowl of water, waited an hour, pushed it to the bottom, it popped back up. I waited another hour and dunked it again. It is still floating nice and flat. It looks just like the one in the top photo, except my green foam was a tad darker, and the marabou was a bit longer than the schlappen shown. But I think I can safely say, hardware store poly will work. I get the feeling looking at it, that it's a pretty good fly for Largemouth.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:14 PM

thanks for the input. idk why i would just like really figure out exactly what that recipe calls for in that tail. maybe the hardware store poly will work, but the macrame stuff works even better? i called idlywilde flies and they wouldn't give that information out... idk how to get in contact with kevin price himself and i doubt he would want to give that info out either.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Banned

I was thinking, you could just forget Poly rope altogether, and use EZ body or Flashabou Minnow Body (woven Mylar tube). There is a fly called an Alien that has a body done that way. I don't think it would alter the way it sets in the water any. I'm pretty sure it would be a lot lighter. I'm going to use it, or the hardware store poly if I keep tying these. Since the hardware store poly comes in white, costs next to nothing and you can turn it any color you want, I don't see much cause to go hunting for the macrame type.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:26 PM

found some bonnie braid at hobby lobby yesterday. compared to the hardware store poly rope stuff (nylon/polypropylene), it feels much more plasticy and lighter. i think once a few fish hit it, the rope will be more meaty looking while holding less water than the hardware store poly rope. i bought a package of sharpies and colored a small strip of the bonnie braid with all different colors. i let it dry overnight, then dropped it in a cup of water. a couple hours later, i could see some color leaching out into the water. i pulled the rope out of the cup, squeezed the water out, rinsed it under the sink a second, squeezed it again and there was no more leaching. if you go this route, you can make the rope whatever color you want with the sharpies and not really have to worry about staining your fly box or clothes. i have colored nylon rope before with sharpies for a gar fly and it didn't work out well, stained everything that touched it once it got wet. i dont think i will have this problem with the bonnie braid.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

Poly rope is much stiffer and courser than Macrame cord/yarn. You can buy Macrame yarn at Walmart. I have hundreds of yards of Macrame yarn from my yarn strike indicator days. The Bonnie manufacture calls its yarn, cord, but I think it is still Macrame yarn.

The rope, cord, yarn, are all made from Polypropylene and floats. The rope construction uses a much larger strand than the yarn. Hench the yarn is much softer. I think Poly rope will be too stiff for this application.

If anyone thinks the Poly yarn will soak up water and sink, you can soak the yarn in Hydroastop before you tie with it.

Frank

Bonnie Macrame Cord
Click the image to open in full size.