The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 04:34 PM

rjackh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Price's LMB flies

well sht...

the stuff i got at hobby lobby is packaged as "Bonnie Craft Cord". says its "made with 100% polyolefin fibers, a heat fusible fiber". is this still not the right stuff??? its definitely not "soft" like you said, but it feels like it will wick up very little water. when i did the permanent marker test to see if it would hold color, the piece of rope did not float in the cup of water. it didn't sink like a rock, but definitely did not float...

click this link
http://www.pepperell.com/Departments/Macrame.aspx
the top left picture is what i got, just in white.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:40 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price's LMB flies

I told you guys about the test I did with the fly tied using hardware store poly. Here is the fly FLOATING after I pushed it to the bottom, let it set for a good hour, pushed it back to the bottom and yet here it is still floating. In fact it set there floating like a dead fish well after the second attempt to sink it. I have no doubt it would float till hell froze over. By the way, notice how flat it floats. As or dying it. Hardware store poly does come in white, and is very similar in properties to the plastic used in fly lines. To dye those, you need to get the dye near boiling, drop the rope in, stir for a bit and pull it out. Rinse dry and tie. I am going to try this fly for Bass and if it seems to be a good fly, and I tie more of them, I will continue to use the hardware store poly, which I can get a foot of for the cost of a bottle return in most states. If I tie more, I may buy more schlappen, cool-aid dye it to match, and get a better matching green foam, but I think I'm sticking to the hardware store poly. One more note, I tied this on a Mustad C52S BLN hook. Not a very light hook.
Click the image to open in full size.