The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 12:02 PM

rjackh is on a distinguished road
Default Price's LMB flies

ive been trying to tie some of price's LMB flies. i dont have any schlappen hackle or poly rope though.

what exactly is schlappen hackle? is it just big webby hackle from a different part of the bird? can i get the same effect from using saddle hackle? how do i get any hackle to be so stringy like is pictured here in step 5?

http://www.flyrecipes.com/index.php?...5668&Itemid=35

is this poly rope he uses an actual fly tying material, or is it something i could find at the local craft store or something? thanks
Old 01-29-2011, 02:20 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Price's LMB flies

Schlappen is the very webby hackle found around the base of the tail of a rooster. Used often as a substitute for heron or blue eared pheasant in a variety of salmon flies...and obviously some bass flies. Saddle hackle is decidedly different from schlappen; don't know if it would work for you in this application. No harm in trying, I'd say.

If I were you, I'd just google that braid and I'm sure you'll find a zillion places to buy it.

Happy tying,
Gary
Old 01-29-2011, 02:38 PM

dbo342000 is on a distinguished road

The polyrope can be had at any hardware
Old 01-29-2011, 07:53 PM

someone on another forum said i could try using the marabou looking part at the base of hackle feathers. do yall think this would work? i dont see it working well, i feel like the stem of the feather right there is too thick to wrap around a hook shank.

will the rope just be labeled as polyrope? will it have a diameter on the label? he uses 6 mm i think.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a link to Schlappen, in the photo it is the purple feather on the bottom.
Feather-Craft Fly Fishing | Fly Fishing Rods, Reels, Waders, Flies, Fly Tying Materials | Sage Rods | Simms Waders | Since 1955
I think in your case you could try some large saddle hackle, it might work. Awhile back I was tying some Circus Peanut streamers that called for Schlappen and I tried substituting some large saddle hackle and it worked and I thought it looked ok, until the Schlappen I ordered came in.

Larry

Old 01-29-2011, 11:07 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Cool fly pattern. You can get the poly rope at any hardware store. They generally sell it on bulk spools, so you won't have to buy more than a foot. As for the schlappen, try craft stores. Till our Ben Franklin closed I could get really big white schlappen here and then dye it what ever color I wanted with cool-aid and the microwave. They also carried the rope, and the foam. Some sewing shops that also carry craft stuff may have it. If you need enough stuff to justify making an order from a fly catalog, Angler's Workshop and some that carry stuff for big spey flies will have schlappen. The long grey hackle on this Akroyd is schlappen from Be Franklin. You have to work it between your fingers to crush the hooks between the fibers to get it seperated like this. There is a trick to it.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:53 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin Price is a great fly tier and guide. Both he and his buddy, Hogan Brown, have come up with wonderful patterns that catch fish.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:56 PM

will the hardware store sell polyrope in different colors? if i get white rope, is there any way to add color to it?

also, do yall think cutting marabou from the stem and tying that in would be a good substitute for schlappen? i did it the other day, it seemed to look just fine except i couldnt add as much material since i didnt have long hook shanks the recipe called for.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

There's multiple different kinds of "poly rope" what you're after is polypropylene, rather than polyester. You also might be able to find it sold as "macrame yarn".

The main difference between schlappen and saddle hackle is the length of the fibers, and the fact that they're webby. (barbules run the length of the fiber and make them want to stick together, rather than stand out more like dry fly hackles. Webby hackles move differently in water.) Most every pack of saddle hackle I buy has a few larger feathers that are more webby up the stem. Using those in place of schlappen should work fine, provided that the fibers are long enough. (smaller size hooks)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackh View Post
will the hardware store sell polyrope in different colors? if i get white rope, is there any way to add color to it?

also, do yall think cutting marabou from the stem and tying that in would be a good substitute for schlappen? i did it the other day, it seemed to look just fine except i couldnt add as much material since i didnt have long hook shanks the recipe called for.
You can dye fly lines with RIT dye. I'll bet you can dye white poly rope as well. See here; Gary Borger Blog Archive Dying Fly Lines

I'll bet using Sharpie permanent markers would work for making multi-colored stuff like Fire Tiger patterns.

Marabou is less stiff than schlappen, but it is long. Actually, it may work better, because it moves like it is alive in the water. If you looked at the fly I pictured before, that was schlappen. Look at this fly, instead of schlappen it has marabou.
Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
There's multiple different kinds of "poly rope" what you're after is polypropylene, rather than polyester.
If you look at the photos of the fly, it is clearly the hardware store poly rope. The macrame stuff would soak up water I would think, making the fly sink. I'd stick to the hardware store poly rope.