The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 08:46 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default a question on casting

I'm new to fly fishing and have been having issues with my leader when I cast. I can get the line fairly straight, but my leader stays coiled up. Is there an issue with my cast or did I just get cheap leader(which I did.) What way could I fix this?
Old 07-20-2009, 08:59 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: a question on casting

You probably don't have enough power on your cast. There are many reason for this, one of which could be you're not stopping your forward cast abrubtly enough.

Randy
Old 07-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

It sounds like your cast is underpowered. Straightening out your leader should also help it. This is done best by a combination of stretching it and pulling it through your clasped hand to warm it up a bit via friction.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi ant,

Since you are new at fly fishing it is probably your cast but you have to look at everything. Here are some ideas.

1. Make sure your leader is matched to the fly you are casting. Take a look at this chart and make sure the fly is not too large for the leader tippet.

Here is a very handy chart that may help you out.
Click the image to open in full size.

2. If the tippet and fly match you might try a shorter leader until you get things shorted out.

3. Most new fly fishers cast too quickly. the fore or back cast don't unroll completely and you loose your line speed. When I have a problem with a leader here is what I do:

If you are on a stream find a calm pool with no currant. Get your line out in front of you laying on the water. I do this with a roll cast. When you have about 30' if line on the water do a Pick-Up and Lay-Down. You start the Puck-up with the rod tip low to the water. The fly line should be locked against the rod grip with the fore finger on the rod hand. You retrieve some line until the tip of the fly line is moving. Now do a Pick-Up and into your back cast. When you feel the rod load you start your fore cast and let the line settle on the water. So you do a pickup, a back cast and then on the fore cast you delver the line as if you are fishing. This abbreviated Pick-Up and Lay-Down will show you if your leader is laying out straight or collapsing.

The Pick-Up and Lay-Down will tell you if the problem is the leader or your casting. In many cases a beginner can do a Pick-Up and Lay-Down with no problem. It is when they start to false cast that the rush the cast, loose their line speed and everything goes to the devil.

Frank
Old 07-20-2009, 02:41 PM

jcl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
You probably don't have enough power on your cast. There are many reason for this, one of which could be you're not stopping your forward cast abrubtly enough.

Randy
That's a good point. And take it from a highly mediocre caster, that it can be that you're starting your forward cast too soon. Make sure your rod loads on the back cast. When I lose my timing (esp. at the end of a long day), that's often where I find the kink in my casting.

As for straightening your leader, I've found those little leather leader-straighteners to be pretty useful. You can get one for about $5 or $6.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:22 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the tips everyone! I'll get out there again and try to work this out.

I also never even heard of a leader straightener. Thansk!
Old 07-21-2009, 08:35 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Ant,
It's very hard to diagnose casting problems from a bulletin board. Many different casting defects can be causing your problem.
Randy
Old 07-21-2009, 10:21 AM

BTW, another common cause of an underpowered cast - assuming we're not hauling - is not loading the rod because our line hand is below our rod hand and we then begin the forward cast by moving our rod hand first, losing line tension. Instead, we should move both hands downward at the same time, or we can cast with both hands at the same level (this, however, might look funny.)

Randy
Old 07-21-2009, 02:01 PM

Fly Fishing Crazy is on a distinguished road

Need help understanding basic casting techniques?
Read Casting a Fly Fly Fishing Crazy's Blog

Tight Lines------<*))))><
Larry
We Offer Fly Rods, Blanks, Bamboo Fly Rods, and Reels