The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2009, 03:04 PM

Jer is on a distinguished road
Default Tossing Bead Heads

As some of you may know , I too am new to fly fishing... I have had my rod now for about 6 weeks or so.. Sage Flight 9' 5 wt , Rio Grand float line...

I have found that I am getting to where I can cast dry flies pretty well.. I am now consistently casting them between 40' and 50'.... as long as I slow things down and its a calm day.... when it starts getting breezy my line just seems to pile up ..

Maybe someone can give me some advice on casting bead heads , I was out practicing on the river the other day.. It looked to me like the line was moving through the air , but the beadhead was just hovering.. I went again this morning and increased the length of my leader and it seemed as though I could cast the beadhead today as though it was a light little dry fly... Has anyone else experienced this ? Also today on the river I was running a strike indicator ( corky ) and 2 nymphs tied together with about 3 feet of leader between them..

I always try and visualize casting my line and not the fly when I am out practicing or on the river , I was wondering if adding more leader it more balanced out the weight difference between line and fly ? Today I was starting to wonder if I was going crazy , stumbled onto something or if things were just coming together for me.. Either way I was happy with the results...
Old 07-31-2009, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jer,I think according to your rod and line you should use between 1 and 2,8 mm copper beads and as far as possible avoid "false" casts and slow down your casting timing.Casting heavier beads is really unpleasant
Hope you can understand what I mean...easy to show but difficult to explain even in my own tongue.JP