The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roll cast question

Glad you got a lot of replies
Old 08-12-2009, 05:34 PM

TxArcheo is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for the videos, tips, and suggestions!

Just when you think you're getting the hang of things a whole new wrinkle is thrown into the mix. However, that's what makes this such a wonderful sport....always something to learn.

Thank you all again, and now it's time digest this information and find what works for me.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:34 AM

ssjchar is on a distinguished road

I have a question about roll casting. is there a limit to how far or how much line you can roll cast? i'm only able to roll cast maybe 20 feet so far, though i've only been fly fishing for 2 days now.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi ssjchar,

I got a little chuckle out of your 2 Day comment. It is going to take a little longer than that to learn all of the cast.

If you are only getting 20 feet you are probably throwing the cast downward at the end. You can aim your roll cast upward to gain more distance. It is the same principal as when you make a regular cast. You can tilt the forward delivery higher to gain more distance. If you end any cast with the rod tip going down toward the water you will limit your distance.

Frank
Old 09-28-2009, 08:08 AM

robert b is on a distinguished road

It's my opinion that alot of anglers overthink their roll cast. It's fairly intuitive and easy to do. Also, although I think a spey cast can be effective in certain situations, it shouldn't be needed when a roll cast will work almost anywhere. The only difference with still water and moving water is that instead of the 'D' shape being directly behind you, it's more downstream. I find it easiest to use the roll cast when my casting arm is my downstream arm. Just allow your line to go all the way downstream and lose all the slack, then just as in the still water roll cast, bring your rod up and allow the line to form a 'D' shape behind you and cast. Simple! I actually find it easier to roll cast on moving water as you don't have to worry about getting rid of all the slack, the stream will do that for you
Old 09-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

If you do a lot of roll casting you have to learn how to cast from both shoulders. You should have a small tilt to your hand to the right with a right hander. If the wind changes you need to tilt your hand to the left so the rod now comes back over the left shoulder but still with the right hand. So let the wind decide how you are going to make your roll cast. If you don't, as the line unrolls the wind will blow the line into its self. Switch to the other shoulder and the wind will blow the line away from your cast.

Frank
Old 12-26-2009, 03:27 PM

morayflyfisher is a jewel in the roughmorayflyfisher is a jewel in the roughmorayflyfisher is a jewel in the rough

Do you advocate the D loop system with rolls and spey casts? only reason I ask is that it helps with the safety aspect for those learning, that the D loop is kept to the side where the wind is blowing ie up or down. and keeps the line away from your body.Spey casts are designed as change of direction casts on running water and more used than just the basic roll,
As Frank says usefull to be able to cast off both shoulders.

Spey casts I find are very easily learned when you switch from single hand rods to double handed,but going from double to single for some can be alot harder.

www.morayflyfishing.co.uk
Old 01-18-2010, 12:23 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Another great place to use the roll cast, is "rolling up" a line from the water.
I often water load a cast directly upstream. Then, as my line returns to me, I raise my rod tip naturally into a roll cast position. As soon as the line forms a loop behind the rod I angle my next roll cast more across the current. In two or three, cast/drift/roll up sequences, I can often cover close to 90 degrees across the stream. This is better to me than false casting, because the line is on the water more. An old guy once told me, "you can't catch fish with your line in the air".

Bigfly
Old 01-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Hi Everyone,

As Ken mentioned sometimes I like to use a roll cast to pick up the fly line. You start the same motion as the regular roll cast but you aim it higher and the line will pick up off the water and roll over into a straight line in the air. You need to have the fly moving when you begin the cast and you have to aim the cast higher. I used this a lot when fishing a short integrated sink tip. You can't pick up as much line and you have to cast from the correct side to accommodate any wind.

Frank
Old 03-22-2010, 10:10 AM

breach is on a distinguished road

Anyone can give me some advise for picking up big flies out of the water with a RollCast? For Example, there is no way I can acheive a Rollcast when a size 6 wooly bugger is tied to my line. There is just not enough power in my cast to lift it up of the water.

Thanks
Breach

Last edited by breach; 03-22-2010 at 10:36 AM.