The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Roll cast question

Hi Breach,

It could be several things. Here are some things to think about.

1. You have too much line out when you start your roll cast. If the fly is weighted then you need less line on the water for sure.

2. You have to have the fly moving in or on the water before you start your cast. This makes sure you don't have any slack line in your line or leader. If you are using a floating fly then you only need to have the tip of your fly line moving unless you have a long leader.

3. Make sure you are not directing your cast down towards the water as you deliver your cast. You need to aim above the water.

4. The rod weight you are using may be too light for the fly you are using. You don't say what rod weight you are using. Some may disagree but I think a very soft rod doesn't work as well as a fast rod. The softer rod is easier to load but I don't think it gives the velocity to the fly line. I have never tested this so just thinking out loud. I know my old bamboo rod does not roll cast as well as my graphite rods.

5. Use a floating line.

Frank
Old 03-22-2010, 12:21 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Breach,

1. You have too much line out when you start your roll cast. If the fly is weighted then you need less line on the water for sure.

2. You have to have the fly moving in or on the water before you start your cast. This makes sure you don't have any slack line in your line or leader. If you are using a floating fly then you only need to have the tip of your fly line moving unless you have a long leader.

3. Make sure you are not directing your cast down towards the water as you deliver your cast. You need to aim above the water.

4. The rod weight you are using may be too light for the fly you are using. You don't say what rod weight you are using. Some may disagree but I think a very soft rod doesn't work as well as a fast rod. The softer rod is easier to load but I don't think it gives the velocity to the fly line. I have never tested this so just thinking out loud. I know my old bamboo rod does not roll cast as well as my graphite rods.

5. Use a floating line.

Frank
As usual, Frank has hit this from about every angle. I really want to highlight his second point here. Assuming you are using floating line (#5) and you have enough rod (#4), getting the fly moving is really going to help. By making that strip in with your rod tip moderately high, will bring that bugger up to the surface. In most cases, you just aren't going to be able to yank that bugger all the way up and out of the water. If you are swinging it down stream, you can either wait and let the current push the fly upward in the water column, or help it out a little by again stripping in a bit to push that fly up more. Then again, there are the spey techniques as well... Too much noise and commotion for me in most cases.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:25 AM

breach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Breach,

5. Use a floating line.

Frank
Thanks guys,

I will try that next time.

My rod is a #6 with #6 floating line.
I know Im not directing my cast downward because this is something I already know. Each time I do a rollcast I make sure I do this correctly.

So it might be to much line on the water and I will try to bring that fly upper in the water column before I initialise the cast.

Thanks again
Breach
Old 03-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Breach,

Well your rod is heavy enough and you aren't casting towards the water so make sure you have that fly moving before you start your cast. I think you might have too much line out and you should experiment with that.
Frank
Old 03-24-2010, 08:44 AM

At how many feet (approx) of line out is start to get to much?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Hi Breach,

That depends on the line, the weight of the fly and your ability. You need to determine that on the water. Start out with 20' and go from there. Keep making your cast a little longer until it doesn't work for you. Then back off to a point that you get good results every time.

Frank
Old 03-24-2010, 11:02 AM

That makes a lot of sense! Thank again!