Casting Help New Rod

gamecock

Reaction score
Ok keep in mind I'm new to fly fishing. I bought an 8 wt orvis clearwater II tip flex back at Christmas and lined it with an 8 wt WF line. I can consistently and somewhat accurately sling it 60-75 feet and have started working on my double haul with some success. I feel pretty good about that rod but know I still need practice.
My problem is I bought a temple fork pro series 5 wt and lined it with a 5 wt WF rio gold line. I cant figure out how to cast this setup to save my life. Here's my crude explanation of what's going on.

With the 8 wt I can feel the weight of the line behind me in the back cast and have a feel for when to stop and start the forward cast.

But with the 5 wt it's like it's not heavy enough for me to feel the backcast when it gets to that point. It feels more like I'm throwing a bream buster or cane pole with a mono line with no weight on the end. It's like there's no beef in the back cast and I end up whiffing the forward cast. Any idea what's going on?

I start out with as much line in front of me as I do with the 8 wt. Do I need to be starting with more line out of the rod with the 5 wt since the line is lighter?

Right now when I cast the first 15-20 feet of line lays out pretty straight but the rest bunches up at the end. I can use a double haul and make it better but I don't think I should have to double haul a 5 wt line to get it to go 40 feet.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Davo

Reaction score
This is kind of tough to diagnose. Your rods line weight difference is one factor. An 8wt and a 5wt are significantly different. Also the flex of your rods are different. The Clearwater is a fast action rod and the TFO is a med-fast action rod. Since you are not having problems with the Faster rod my guess is you are over powering the other. Slow your casting stroke down just a bit. Let the rod do the work.
As for getting the feel of the different weight try looking over your shoulder as you backcast. Watch your line straighten out. Do this with several false cast and see if you don't start to get the feel of the weight and the timing. Start with shorter cast and then slowly increase your distance till you get to the length you desire.

randyflycaster

Reaction score
Good advice above. I just wonder: how do you know the 5-weight line is really is a 5-weight line? Maybe it's a 4-weight.

Sounds like you're having trouble loading the rod, and, except for the possiblity that you're casting too fast, that shouldn't be.

Randy

gamecock

Reaction score
I was definitely rushing things. I threw in the yard a lot this afternoon and slowed things down. It cast much better. Still not as easy to throw as my 8 wt but I can whip it out there good enough to get it done. Still open to any suggestions though.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I'd video tape yourself. It is much easier to see what you are doing wrong, when you are setting in front of the TV with a cup of coffee, than being frustrated and annoyed while casting. I do this with times I am having trouble, and I tell everyone I know having trouble to do this. It pretty much works every time.

Davo

Reaction score
I was definitely rushing things. I threw in the yard a lot this afternoon and slowed things down. It cast much better. Still not as easy to throw as my 8 wt but I can whip it out there good enough to get it done. Still open to any suggestions though.

Glad that worked for you!! Rods are like folks, they take different strokes. Keep with it and you'll have it down in no time!!!