The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 07:24 PM

rjackh is on a distinguished road
Default throwing tailing loops like crazy

i have a guide booked this weekend so i have vowed to practice every day this week to get un-rusty and get the most out of the trip. i was practicing today and noticed i was throwing tailing loops over and over. ive been trying to concentrate on keeping my elbow in close to my body and not using as much wrist which is helping. it seems like the harder i double haul, the worse the cast is though. however, some of my casts are perfect, i just cant seem to repeat exactly what i did on that perfect cast the next time. any help or ideas of what could be wrong? ive had instructors tell me before that tailing loops are caused by too much power applied at the wrong time. am i not waiting long enough before i haul on the forward cast? im throwing an 8 wt loomis crosscurrent with #8 SA redfish line. wind was pretty stiff today but i was changing directions to practice with wind from all sides and stuff.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:30 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: throwing tailing loops like crazy

Sounds like you're working too hard. "the harder I double haul"...double hauling is fairly effortless...you don't need to be yanking incredibly on the line. You need to be timing your pull on each aspect of the cast. A suggestion...slow down in practice. When you get a cast that gets it, stop and think about what you did on that cast to make it right. don't just keep flailing away out there. Stop and analyze each cast. What went right, what went wrong? Keeping your elbow in close to your body may not be the best thing when casting bigger line weights, especially into the wind.

The Loomis Crosscurrent demands really good timing. Again, I'd slow the practice sessions down, and get that timing right.
Gary
Old 03-21-2011, 07:36 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I'd have to agree with GT. Also you may be putting a little extra oomph into the forecast when you release the line. this results on overflexing the rod causing your tailing loop. Just relax and let the rod do its thing.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-21-2011, 08:40 PM

driftaway is on a distinguished road

maybe this will help

Old 03-22-2011, 04:39 AM

Walter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really nice

Good advice from all.....and if its any comfort just remember that everyone gets tailing loops at some time. My favorite Lefty Kreh line was that there are only 2 kinds of people that never get tailing loops: 1) People that don't flyfish...and 2) Liars.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:58 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Slow down your casting stroke and don't start rotating the rod until your hand is well in front of you. Don't start the haul until the very end of the cast.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Practice being smooth.

Tailing loops are most commonly caused by "goosing" your cast: applying too much power too early in your casting stroke. (kinda like accelerating out of a turn on a wet street with a pickup and spinning the wheels- lots of muscle and motion is used, but wasted)

Start out practicing your cast without the haul.

Gradually accelerate through the casting stroke so that you're smoothly bending the rod more deeply up until your stop.

Then, add a small haul in at the end of your casting stroke to deepen the bend in the rod. Gradually increase the force applied to your haul, and when it quits improving your cast, back off.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:19 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Also, make sure that you don't end your downward haul too late: after you stop your casting stroke.
Randy
Old 03-22-2011, 06:10 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Try the tip by Rejeff, bucket of water and a paint brush.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:51 PM

rjackh is on a distinguished road

hanks for the tips guys. i practiced again yesterday while concentrating on being as smooth as possible and it really helped a lot. i think my main problem was that i was trying to muscle it way too much. i know this is off topic for this thread, but my next issue now is accuracy. anyone have tips to improve accuracy? one thing i noticed yesterday was the more overhanded i casted (that is the less side arm i casted) the more accurate i was. i felt like my loops were better when doing this too. this a coincidence or good form?