The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 02:40 AM

elsewhere is on a distinguished road
Default Casting from a pier - need advice

Hey guys,

In my area, there are some places where the only feasible place to fish is from a pier. Some of these piers can be very high up from the water - like 8 - 15 feet above the water. I'm looking for some advice on casting. I find that the only cast I can do is the overhead. It is very difficult to roll cast or spey case from that high above the water. Anyone been in this situation before and can offer some advice?
Old 11-15-2009, 06:22 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Casting from a pier - need advice

I'll fish from a breakwater once in a while
I find that the casting is not as much an issue as controlling the line slack.
Landing fish can be difficult if not dangerous.
Most often I find that I'm better off staying on solid ground and fishing the edges
Old 11-15-2009, 09:05 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I often fish from piers, usually at high tided. I find that I can make roll casts. The only other advice I can make is to execute your back cast at an upward angle, and your forward cast at a lower angle, assuming there isn't too much wind. If there is wind I often cast parallel to the water. Finally, if you're casting into a wind shorten up on your haul.

One more thing: I'd recommend getting a rod leash. Yakleash make one for active casting, or you can build your own. There's a video about how to do it on youtube, I think.

Randy
Old 01-14-2010, 07:15 AM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough

I fish off jetties sometimes in cape cod and what I do is on my retireve when I have about 15' or 20" (the most amount of line where I can still pick it up with a double haul) of line and the head is still out there I double hall it back once and then shoot it back out and I can get quit a bit of line out..

with other people fishing thee too i couldn't do alot of flase casting, so its basically the same as sight fishing,,,,,,,, also not sure how your pier is but when I shot it out I would cast the line perfectly horizontal from where I was and then let it fall to the water and then quickly do a fast retrieve back.

hope that helps,, goodluck!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:51 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
I find that I can make roll casts...
If there is wind I often cast parallel to the water.
Randy
That is a tough cast for me... a roll cast from 8-15' above the water!
Also, parallel to the water at that height?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:57 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Yes. If it's not windy I make a high back cast and a low forward cast. The back and forward casts should form a 180 degree (a straight line) angle.

Yes, other casters deal with wind differently, so experiment and see what works for you.

Randy

Last edited by randyflycaster; 01-14-2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: More info
Old 01-14-2010, 01:42 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

Not fly fishing but your topic brought back this memory from long ago: Was opening of the Folly Beach Pier and I was there visiting a friend. We were both teenagers and his father decided to take us pierfishing for the first (and only) time. THe wind was quite nasty and caught my cast and through it back into the crowd where it got a pretty large man in the face. Could not exactly deny it was me as all he had to do was trace the line that was attached to the lure that was attached to his face...back to my rod. Thank God my friend's father was there or I do believe the man would have made me his shark bait.
Ahh..the memories
Tuck
Old 01-16-2010, 08:42 AM

tonysav is on a distinguished road

I agree practice makes perfect.