The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   Shooting heads?????? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/11756-shooting-heads.html)

arfishinbear 11-17-2009 09:51 AM

Shooting heads??????

hey ya'all,
Heres the problem, hybrid stripers busting shad and clients not being able to make long enough cast to hit the mark, some times I can get close to the fish, but not usally very close before they spook. I was thinking about setting a 9ft 8 or 9wt rod up with a shooting head/running line system. Does anyone have any exprience with these? Do they help you make a longer cast?
Should I use a striping basket with them?
Thanks for any info
Bear

Rip Tide 11-17-2009 10:26 AM

Re: Shooting heads??????

If the problem is that a good caster isn't casting the distance required, then a shooting head system may help.
On the other hand, shooting heads will only make it more difficult for someone who can't cast a regular weight forward line a moderate distance.
Trying to pick up and false cast over 28 feet of line would be pretty frustrating for a casual fly caster, I'd think.
A stripping basket of some sort is almost a necessity and should be used even with a WF line

Hardyreels 11-17-2009 10:38 AM

Bear,

I agree with Rip, I used shooting heads to fish salmon in Lake Ontario, managing the running line will be the problem. What I found was that it was such a hassle I felt foolish. I kept asking myself, why not just use a spinning rig and make the cast?

Now days with all the new running lines available maybe it is easier. I was using flat mono in 26 - 34* temps and it was always stiff. It worked (the system) but like Rip said someone new to the system may founder.

Rip Tide 11-17-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 72596)
Now days with all the new running lines available maybe it is easier. I was using flat mono in 26 - 34* temps and it was always stiff.

I didn't even consider that. :o
All I've ever used for running line was a #5 level line... and even that's hard to deal with
Another problem for me is that when it's cold, that thin line is very hard to hold on to.

MoscaPescador 11-17-2009 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arfishinbear (Post 72589)
hey ya'all,
Heres the problem, hybrid stripers busting shad and clients not being able to make long enough cast to hit the mark, some times I can get close to the fish, but not usally very close before they spook. I was thinking about setting a 9ft 8 or 9wt rod up with a shooting head/running line system. Does anyone have any exprience with these? Do they help you make a longer cast?
Should I use a striping basket with them?
Thanks for any info
Bear

Shooting head systems are used regularly here in Northern California for Striped Bass. They help improve distance. If the conditions are right, I can cast 100 feet with my eight weight. They are also versatile since you can change heads for different sink rates.

Using shooting heads can be difficult for someone who never has used them. Some people get turned off by them because of the loop to loop interface between the head and the running line. It can get caught between the guides. Also people try to cast them like regular lines by false casting. The goal is to get the head out of the tip top then shoot.

If you choose to buy shooting heads, buy them by grain weight. The packaging for most shooting heads that are labeled with the AFFTA line weight and the grain weight. Eight weight rods usually work best with heads that weigh 300 to 350 grains. Most nine weights cast best with heads of 350 to 400 grains. You are basically overlining your rod with these heads to get more distance.

Another option is to purchase integrated shooting heads. These are one piece lines in which the head and the running line are welded together. The positive is that you don't get the bulky loop to loop connection between the running line and the head. The negative is that you lose your versatility of changing heads.

It is not a bad idea to have a stripping basket or bucket. The most popular basket being used where I'm from is the Mangrove Hip Shooter. It is marketed by Mangrove Fishing Accessories (Temple Fork Outfitters) and can be bought at any specialty shop. Stripping buckets are popular with some fishermen who do not like wearing stripping baskets. They are basically waste baskets that are weighed down, so they don't slide around on the deck.

MP

sandfly 11-17-2009 03:47 PM

I use shooting heads all the time fresh and salt. for running line i use cortland braided mono in 100 foot lenths (can be spiced to go 200+ feet) my 8wt shad system will throw 130 feet. no tangles no curls. its great stuff. no need to stretch it.. my second choice is rio quick shooter and my third would be 2wt level line...

arfishinbear 11-17-2009 06:09 PM

Great info guys, thanks
Bear

wjc 11-19-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

.....hybrid stripers busting shad and clients not being able to make long enough cast to hit the mark
I don't quite understand the post. If it's "clients" not being able to cast far enough, I doubt that anything you do is going to make any difference. If you set up a rod with a shooting head and real thin running line, they'll be spending all their time untangling knots, and will be in a worse mood than before.

I bought a couple of airflow ridge running lines, and the diameter of those is identical to that of my Rio bonefish taper integrated lines which have a fairly long head.

I like a long head myself for the type of fishing I do, but others like a short head for that same type of fishing. It is an individual preference in my opinion.

Cheers,
Jim