The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 09:51 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Shooting heads??????

hey ya'all,
Heres the problem, hybrid stripers busting shad and clients not being able to make long enough cast to hit the mark, some times I can get close to the fish, but not usally very close before they spook. I was thinking about setting a 9ft 8 or 9wt rod up with a shooting head/running line system. Does anyone have any exprience with these? Do they help you make a longer cast?
Should I use a striping basket with them?
Thanks for any info
Bear
Old 11-17-2009, 10:26 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shooting heads??????

If the problem is that a good caster isn't casting the distance required, then a shooting head system may help.
On the other hand, shooting heads will only make it more difficult for someone who can't cast a regular weight forward line a moderate distance.
Trying to pick up and false cast over 28 feet of line would be pretty frustrating for a casual fly caster, I'd think.
A stripping basket of some sort is almost a necessity and should be used even with a WF line
Old 11-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Bear,

I agree with Rip, I used shooting heads to fish salmon in Lake Ontario, managing the running line will be the problem. What I found was that it was such a hassle I felt foolish. I kept asking myself, why not just use a spinning rig and make the cast?

Now days with all the new running lines available maybe it is easier. I was using flat mono in 26 - 34* temps and it was always stiff. It worked (the system) but like Rip said someone new to the system may founder.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-17-2009, 10:53 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Now days with all the new running lines available maybe it is easier. I was using flat mono in 26 - 34* temps and it was always stiff.
I didn't even consider that.
All I've ever used for running line was a #5 level line... and even that's hard to deal with
Another problem for me is that when it's cold, that thin line is very hard to hold on to.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:11 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
hey ya'all,
Heres the problem, hybrid stripers busting shad and clients not being able to make long enough cast to hit the mark, some times I can get close to the fish, but not usally very close before they spook. I was thinking about setting a 9ft 8 or 9wt rod up with a shooting head/running line system. Does anyone have any exprience with these? Do they help you make a longer cast?
Should I use a striping basket with them?
Thanks for any info
Bear
Shooting head systems are used regularly here in Northern California for Striped Bass. They help improve distance. If the conditions are right, I can cast 100 feet with my eight weight. They are also versatile since you can change heads for different sink rates.

Using shooting heads can be difficult for someone who never has used them. Some people get turned off by them because of the loop to loop interface between the head and the running line. It can get caught between the guides. Also people try to cast them like regular lines by false casting. The goal is to get the head out of the tip top then shoot.

If you choose to buy shooting heads, buy them by grain weight. The packaging for most shooting heads that are labeled with the AFFTA line weight and the grain weight. Eight weight rods usually work best with heads that weigh 300 to 350 grains. Most nine weights cast best with heads of 350 to 400 grains. You are basically overlining your rod with these heads to get more distance.

Another option is to purchase integrated shooting heads. These are one piece lines in which the head and the running line are welded together. The positive is that you don't get the bulky loop to loop connection between the running line and the head. The negative is that you lose your versatility of changing heads.

It is not a bad idea to have a stripping basket or bucket. The most popular basket being used where I'm from is the Mangrove Hip Shooter. It is marketed by Mangrove Fishing Accessories (Temple Fork Outfitters) and can be bought at any specialty shop. Stripping buckets are popular with some fishermen who do not like wearing stripping baskets. They are basically waste baskets that are weighed down, so they don't slide around on the deck.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 11-17-2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-17-2009, 03:47 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I use shooting heads all the time fresh and salt. for running line i use cortland braided mono in 100 foot lenths (can be spiced to go 200+ feet) my 8wt shad system will throw 130 feet. no tangles no curls. its great stuff. no need to stretch it.. my second choice is rio quick shooter and my third would be 2wt level line...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-17-2009, 06:09 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Great info guys, thanks
Bear
Old 11-19-2009, 09:21 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
.....hybrid stripers busting shad and clients not being able to make long enough cast to hit the mark
I don't quite understand the post. If it's "clients" not being able to cast far enough, I doubt that anything you do is going to make any difference. If you set up a rod with a shooting head and real thin running line, they'll be spending all their time untangling knots, and will be in a worse mood than before.

I bought a couple of airflow ridge running lines, and the diameter of those is identical to that of my Rio bonefish taper integrated lines which have a fairly long head.

I like a long head myself for the type of fishing I do, but others like a short head for that same type of fishing. It is an individual preference in my opinion.

Cheers,
Jim