The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Casting: what its supposed to look like

Folks, this video is the best I've seen for showing both the casting stroke and what the line should be doing. Notice how relaxed he is, the gradual application of power through the stroke, and how high he stops the forward stroke. (and notice how tight those loops are too)

HTML Code:
<object width="400" height="225"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=7104459&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=1&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=7104459&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=1&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="225"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/7104459">Flip Pallot - Fly Casting Lessons</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user2451764">Slater Productions</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
http://www.moldychum.com/home-old/20...ip-pallot.html

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:14 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Casting: what its supposed to look like

Thanks Cliff,

That's great photography and casting.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:40 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Casting: what its supposed to look like

You're right, BigCliff. The combination of a red fly line (who makes that?) and good quality slow motion really show the dynamics of fly casting better than others I've seen, including the several DVDs I've bought. I particularly thought the dynamics of his double haul came out well in the video, which is something that often does not come across in even DVDs sold to teach the double haul. The high stop on his forward cast (as compared to his back cast) is also notable, no doubt making his forward loops so tight (even compared to his back loops) that they occasionally seem to tail.

Nice job!
Old 11-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
The high stop on his forward cast (as compared to his back cast) is also notable, no doubt making his forward loops so tight (even compared to his back loops) that they occasionally seem to tail.

Nice job!
I noticed that too, in addition to the fact that his haul on the back cast is quite subtle since the casting motion itself seems to be part of it. I suppose many years of fishing off of flats skiffs causes the focus on keeping the back cast up to wane a bit. One can only tighten up loops so much before tailing becomes an issue. I always try to make the backcast a bit more sidearm and this reduces the chances of tailing a bit.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been a big fan of Flip Pallot and the show he used to do (Walker Cay Chronicles) for a long time. Another really fine example of the double haul is Park Jeong on you tube. She can put line into the next zip code. She is an awsome caster. Her spey casting is great as well.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:51 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I wondered whether or not there was a hook on that line: too much tailing
action for an instructional video.......
Old 11-21-2009, 12:19 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Nice video, thanks Cliff. Now where can I get some of that red flyline so I can see it when it am fishing.

Also, noticed he does not move his elbow much, and seems he has a lot of wrist in the back cast.

I have been working hard lately on my casting, gotten to the point where I gotta haul to get more line out, and I am not very good at the timing of it. this helped a lot. thaks again.

d
Old 11-21-2009, 08:03 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I'd bet money that red line is not really red but actually the Sci Anglers Mastery Express Distance line, which is a very bright orange and looks redder in sunlight - especially afternoon sunlight. It only comes in 5 6 and 7wts which are the most common weights used for distance competitions and casting instructions.

He is casting there to make it look really easy, using a minimum of force to keep the line from falling and also tilting the rod out. This makes the loops look tighter , and also makes tailing due to gravity at a slow speed, less likely.

The horizintal false casting is a much better illustration. Line speed has to be higher when casting horizontally than when casting an equilavent distance overhead because the line has way less room to fall. If you look carefully, you can see his line hand "pronate" (a "flick" of the wrist) just miliseconds after the forward stop.

I believe that "flick" is the fastest motion we can perform with our arms, and adds a whole lot of line speed when timed properly-as he is doing. I doubt he is even consciously aware that he is doing it. It's kind of like a final "safety valve" or a last-second way to fine tune line speed to achieve what you are after.

Another thing to make note of is that the line between his line hand and stripping guide is always under tension. For those of you new to fly fishing, you want to make sure you can always feel that tension unless you are shooting line. And even when shooting line into a backcast, you want to clamp down on the line with your line hand low while the line still has considerable momentum, and feed it back up to the proper position, while it is under tension, for the forward stroke and haul.

Dan, did you ever get one of those lines?

Cheers,
Jim
Old 11-21-2009, 09:22 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
I wondered whether or not there was a hook on that line: too much tailing
action for an instructional video.......
Well, it's not an instructional video, Frank. It's an advertisement for casting lessons. And you're right: it's not very compelling if you know what you're looking at.

The videography is the best I've seen of a casting demo, but the casting...I really like Flip Pallot as a TV fisherman, but this ad didn't do him any favors as a casting instructor.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 11-21-2009, 09:28 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ken,
Advertisement for lessons...Yup. I was too lazy to type in the complete thought .