The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 10:41 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: whats a good distance

I use flip-down specs and a red head light. Ever hear of the San Juan shuffle?

Bigfly
Old 12-17-2009, 08:47 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

yeah, I have heard of it, and maybe I was kicking up some grub, but I took my situation more as I was standing so still (at least the part of me that was in the water) that the trout had gotten used to me being there and didnt see me as a threat. I could be wrong, been wrong before, will be again

I did pick up a hat light at Cabelas last trip and have a visit to the eye doctor on Saturday - gonna finally get some extra strong bifocals with an amber tint for fishing, along with my needed "normal" bifocal glasses

d
Old 12-17-2009, 11:07 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future

Dan, You were right, It was the current break, any yummy bites are a bonus.
The fish hear cobbles roll into the water, and things bumping around. If it's not a continuous
noise (linked footsteps) I think they believe it is "natural". So I've slowed down a lot!
Careful with the tinting if you will use them after dark. The flip down glasses that go on your sunglasses go on my hat brim, problem solved until I get new eyes.
I often use a water load cast, so instead of casting straight away, I lay my line down and let the current carry it down stream first.
I many times pick up a fish this way without a cast. If nothing happens, I then flip it up stream to begin a new drift. Minimal casting seems to mean more fish caught. Between bright colored clothing, (hats too) noisy feet, shadows, and waving rods, it isn't surprising people go fish-less!

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 12-17-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:12 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Water loaded roll cast is my speciality

I have fished whole stretches of rivers doing nothing but throwing the line up into the seam, letting it drift down (stripping in of course), feeding line back as it gets downstream, let it wiggle in the water for 5 seconds or so at the end of the drift, then a water loaded roll cast back up into another part of the seam.....

Great way to waste a few hours on the river!
Old 12-17-2009, 09:32 PM

Fewer tangles too.

Bigfly
Old 12-18-2009, 09:38 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Bigfly said:
Quote:
Bass fishing is credited by some very good casters as the one thing that made them better.
Bass fishing is a blast with poppers or Dahlberg Divers and very easy to do alone effectively from a little boat. In places like Maine, where bass are regarded as trash fish, or Florida, where most people are fishing salt - the action can be spectacular and some fish very large.

I have a 12' aluminum boat with a 9.9 HP outboard that I take friends bass fishing in the glades with. We just pick it up off the trailer and drop it into canals. Then I just putt along parallel to the banks dropping in and out of gear while they cast into the holes between lilly pads, weeds and up into the gator holes.

It's a great place to practice hook and curve casts, and a much more effective way to catch bass than spin or bait casting during the late afternoons. Your bugs spend nearly all their time in the productive spots.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dave and BigFly: That is exactly what I do, especially nymphing with two or three flies, I really like to use a water loaded cast as it virtually eliminates the tangles.

Larry
Old 12-19-2009, 01:11 PM

I generally think anything with fins that busts 5lbs and will take a fly is money!
I fish for smallies. It is an ever expanding fishery here. (Some are busting 5 and so are fun.) Somehow they have moved to almost every body of water here. (Including for a few years, in Tahoe.) I haven't caught one with legs yet, so I think they are getting some help.
They are eating the fry of trout, and every other fish, frogs, and any other thing they fit in that bucket mouth. I think this because of the flies of mine that they hoover. They out compete the locals quit easily. Mainly living where the fry live, and in waters a bit warmish for the Trout. I can't see F&G doing anything reactive about it, so we adapt. Why can't humans just fish what's in their water, instead of mucking it around? Of course the bows and browns aren't indiginous to these waters either.
Sorry about the hijack/rant.
PS. A great read along these lines is"Why Things Bite Back. Lots of thoughts on starlings,carp,tumble weeds, Kudzu vines and many more.

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 12-19-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
I haven't caught one with legs yet, so I think they are getting some help.
They are eating the fry of trout, and every other fish, frogs, and any other thing they fit in that bucket mouth. They out compete the locals quit easily. Mainly living where the fry live, and in waters a bit warmish for the Trout. I can't see F&G doing anything reactive about it, so we adapt. Why can't humans just fish what's in their water, instead of mucking it around? Of course the bows and browns aren't indiginous to these waters either.
I absolutely hate bucket biologists. The yellowstone river is a fine example of the cost of attempting to fix the mess made by some idiot. I love smallies and have never killed one. But if I got one out of Tahoe or the truckee, it would be a goner. I don't know how they taste but I would learn to like it, because they need to go. The cost to not just the taxpayers, but the resident fish populations, is huge. They spend millions of dollars every year attempting to get some idiots private stocking plan under control in just Wyoming alone. And this was when a billion dollars was real money. What is spent nation wide is astronomical. If any of you ever catch one of thse bucket biologists in the act, beat them senseless and have them arrested. Bail them out and beat them senseless again. Now there's a proper rant!
Old 12-19-2009, 10:56 PM

As some of you may know, Lake Davis was once a premier trout lake, big fish and lots of em. Well it has had to be poisoned twice to get rid of the northern pike some yahoo put in the lake, its been a few years now, and it looks like with aggressive stocking and an abundance of food the trout are starting to come back, had a few good days this year, and hopefully more to come, not giants yet, but some nice 16-18 inchers this year out of the lake. That's my rant!

d