The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 10:46 AM

bigspencer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best way to more distance ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegboy1 View Post
For a full year I've been obsessing with getting further and further distances on my casts. Picked up a SA "expert distance" 120' 5wt line for casting in the park yesterday. My question is......am I better off carrying just enough line (roughly 45' to 50') past the tip looking for that sweat spot where the running line starts, or if I can get more out, am I better off getting as much line in the air (including running line) before I let my cast go? Or is it somewhere in between? Trying both and I'm not sure ultimately which will get me more distance.
Hope this makes sense.........
Ditto Jackster, randycaster, & all others....
Of course it does... Your guess is correct, maintaining an efficient loop, unless you have a big tailwind to hop onto, is the only way your efforts will be consistent. Graphite has a specific max loading point for each specific thickness, stiffness(modulus) and manner of wrapping around the scrim..IME...so yes, you wanna find the max length where the rod won't get overloaded = maxxed out, then do your shooting...ie 2x-haul. Drifting at the ends of the powerstroke can help gain a little more speed before hauling...but you have to avoid putting in slack...(duh).
**IME you'll have the best luck by cutting off a good deal of the running line and substituting with backing = making the #5 line into a pseudo shooting head. Much less weight at the back holding the heavier portion back less...than running line of the same heavier, original material... Make sure your knot is solid and the end is closed up to prevent any sink... Find that max-loading point in the line and make the cut below...so that the end of the original line will be within the ferrules somewhere...(to be shot)...giving no resistance from your line hand on down........ *Probably the West Coast and Alaskan guys/women can tie in a LOT more experience with more dynamic rigs from the flyline to back-section.
$.01
Old 04-06-2011, 12:35 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Peg, at a certain point in our casting growth, we may need someone to take a gander at our cast. Many truly great home-run hitters had a batting coach.
There are very small differences between perfect, and near perfect.
It only helps to practice if you practice correctly (personal expirience). 1000 repetitions of wrong, isn't good. Unlearning is harder.
Video is a great tool. Go cast with a "rad caster" and film both of you.
Then analyze it in slow motion. Everyone has different bio-mechanics, so things will never be exactly the same between us.
But, if you can huck a hundred feet+ you can easily deal with that fish mere 60' away.
Sounds like you are a ripper already, hope you achieve your goal.
"Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Till good is better, and better is best".

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 04-07-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:27 AM

gila steve is on a distinguished road

Good article...Seems somethings i was taught arent condusive to casting long distances.
I have said before on here a looong cast for me is 50' but i have been trying to get a little more distance lately and this article will help.
Steve
Old 07-08-2011, 02:43 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Best way to more distance ?

I've seen a few videos of long distance casters, and I notice that their foward casts are higher than the backcast...they are fighting gravity.

Speed and acceleration are important...but you need to contend with gravity as well!

Cheeers,

Robert
Old 07-08-2011, 07:03 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

What's your main rod, weight and length?
And video yourself casting(as mentioned by Bigfly). Amazing what you'll learn from that. With constistant distance, comes accuracy if the cast is correctly executed.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:46 PM

sbourdelais is on a distinguished road

im just getting the flow of my double haul just right, but i still cant carry past 60' and cant shoot past 20'
Old 07-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Pegboy: Why the obsession with so much distance, are you fish salt or after steelhead on big rivers, maybe switching to a spey rod would be a better fit (just curious)?

Larry
Larry beat me to it, so what he said.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegboy1 View Post
For a full year I've been obsessing with getting further and further distances on my casts. Picked up a SA "expert distance" 120' 5wt line for casting in the park yesterday. My question is......am I better off carrying just enough line (roughly 45' to 50') past the tip looking for that sweat spot where the running line starts, or if I can get more out, am I better off getting as much line in the air (including running line) before I let my cast go? Or is it somewhere in between? Trying both and I'm not sure ultimately which will get me more distance.
Hope this makes sense.........

I am sick determined to get to the backing of this 120' line!!! lol..
I have been talking a lot lately with my Canadian friend who can cast insane far distances, and have learned a bunch. I watched him aerialize an entire Trevor Morgan 95' line and keep it controlled. He explained it's cool when you can do that but it does not translate into more distance. There is a point where more line in the air means less line you can shoot. He told me the best way for me to get much further distances with the casting stroke I have was to get the head in the air with some 'overhang', which is some bit of running line past the head. With your stroke, rod and line that may be 5' or it may be 15' and you will have to find the spot that works best. The most important part is high line speed. It gets you farther before gravity puts the line on the ground. As much as it looks like a really good caster looks like he defies gravity, you can't. So more speed = more distance. With me, he got me to lengthen my hauling stroke. He's still working on getting me to look at my back cast, I'm having a hard time with that one. Then I get the overhang, do one serious haul forward cast not letting line out, do one back, again hauling hard, and while I have not done this yet he said you can let a little line slip and it will actually help you get more distance. I don't and just haul hard not letting line out and then one final forward cast and haul hard. Max distance between my hands. Hard stop at the end and stab (like you do when bombing a cast with a spinning rod) the rod at the point you are going for. I have just started trying to hit those way far distances and can cast nowhere near as far as my friend does, so he could help you more than I can. But with just what he showed me there I took my 10 wt. Winston with a 95' line and cast a good 10' of backing out of my rod yesterday afternoon. With a clouser on it. It's the first time I have ever had a rod in my hand where the backing knot left the rod and it was not a fish doing it. I took a photo and may frame the sucker. I hope nobody was watching when I did my happy feet dance.

Last edited by Guest1; 08-02-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-02-2011, 04:58 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Dan,

Sounds to me like you are catching the distance bug too!

The worst thing that happened to me was buying a SA MED Competition line - kind of the "standard" line at most of the distance events in this country and many overseas as well.

It is without question the nicest line I have ever tried, and I fish with it too. The total head length on the 5 wt is 68 1/2' and on the 7 wt (which I fish with) is 72 1/2' . But the taper is a compound taper and the secondary taper toward the running line is not so heavy as the main front taper.

So it handles really well with both short and long carries for fishing. It is really a nice, nice line. Just about every other taper feels clunky to me after using it. I don't think it would float that well in fresh water, but for the salt it's fine.

If your buddy has one, give it a try. If he doesn't, he should get one. The competition model is 120' long.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-02-2011, 10:21 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Just do what George does:

George discusses the reason for a higher elevation on the foward cast. It makes perfect sense to me.