The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 11:15 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Best way to more distance ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I have been talking a lot lately with my Canadian friend who can cast insane far distances, and have learned a bunch. I watched him aerialize an entire Trevor Morgan 95' line and keep it controlled. He explained it's cool when you can do that but it does not translate into more distance. There is a point where more line in the air means less line you can shoot. He told me the best way for me to get much further distances with the casting stroke I have was to get the head in the air with some 'overhang', which is some bit of running line past the head. With your stroke, rod and line that may be 5' or it may be 15' and you will have to find the spot that works best. The most important part is high line speed. It gets you farther before gravity puts the line on the ground. As much as it looks like a really good caster looks like he defies gravity, you can't. So more speed = more distance. With me, he got me to lengthen my hauling stroke. He's still working on getting me to look at my back cast, I'm having a hard time with that one. Then I get the overhang, do one serious haul forward cast not letting line out, do one back, again hauling hard, and while I have not done this yet he said you can let a little line slip and it will actually help you get more distance. I don't and just haul hard not letting line out and then one final forward cast and haul hard. Max distance between my hands. Hard stop at the end and stab (like you do when bombing a cast with a spinning rod) the rod at the point you are going for. I have just started trying to hit those way far distances and can cast nowhere near as far as my friend does, so he could help you more than I can. But with just what he showed me there I took my 10 wt. Winston with a 95' line and cast a good 10' of backing out of my rod yesterday afternoon. With a clouser on it. It's the first time I have ever had a rod in my hand where the backing knot left the rod and it was not a fish doing it. I took a photo and may frame the sucker. I hope nobody was watching when I did my happy feet dance.
Ha Ha... welcome to the world of distance obsession!!! The more you get....the more you wanna get....
Old 08-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I should have you talk to my Canadian friend. I'll ask him and see if I can give you his phone number. It didn't take very long with him helping me and I cast farther than I ever have before. I blew right past the 100' wall like it was never there. Before, I could hit 95' or 100' on a real good day. Passing 100' was not a happening thing. When I tossed backing out of the rod yesterday I was giddy as ....... something really giddy.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:44 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Here's what I've learned from my own trials and tribulations with long distance fly casting:

There are different ways to do things.

For me, hauling too far can cause problems when I execute the upward haul and then add slack to the line. I believe it's important to to finish the upward haul level with my rod hand. To do this, it's important to stop my cast and downward haul at the same time. (I begin my haul and cast moving both my hands together, then when I begin my power acceleration, I begin my downward haul. I learned this from the great Canadian caster Gord Deval.)

Also, shooting line on my last back cast helps, so will adding a slight drift move. (When the line unrolls about 2/3 of the way, slowly lower the rod tip a bit.)

Using a closed stance, like the caster in the video, will allow for more hip rotation and power on our forward cast, but it will also make it harder - especially for us older guys - to watch our back cast unroll without moving our rear shoulder back and adding slack.

Generally, with a shooting line we use less overhang. If you want to increase your overhang try a double taper lline.

Finally, when making very long false casts, I wouldn't wait for the line to unroll. I begin my next cast when the line resembles the shape of a candy cane. (I learned this from Jim Gunderson, a multiple winner of the Best-of-the-West casting tournament.)

In the end, there's not one technique that will allow us to cast farther, but many. Also, there are different casting styles. It's important not to get caught up between them.

My too cents.

Randy