The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 08:09 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Best way to more distance ?

For a full year I've been obsessing with getting further and further distances on my casts. Picked up a SA "expert distance" 120' 5wt line for casting in the park yesterday. My question is......am I better off carrying just enough line (roughly 45' to 50') past the tip looking for that sweat spot where the running line starts, or if I can get more out, am I better off getting as much line in the air (including running line) before I let my cast go? Or is it somewhere in between? Trying both and I'm not sure ultimately which will get me more distance.
Hope this makes sense.........

I am sick determined to get to the backing of this 120' line!!! lol..
Old 03-30-2011, 11:21 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best way to more distance ?

I'm of the 'carry more line' school. Carry what you can control then shoot the rest. With the correct form the amount of line you can carry will grow with practice.
If you can carry 70' then shoot another 30', you're up there with the big guns.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:45 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

The rod your casting with will determine how much line you should be working with. Like Jackster said use what feels right and a quick haul at the end will shoot the rest.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:27 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Pegboy: Why the obsession with so much distance, are you fish salt or after steelhead on big rivers, maybe switching to a spey rod would be a better fit (just curious)?

Larry

Old 03-31-2011, 11:44 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

If you're casting a shooting head line you'll probably have less running line out.

Also, one solution for tailing loops is to carry more running line in the air. Likewise, if your loops are too wide trying carry less running line.

Because I, like most casters, can carry more running line on my forward cast than on my back cast, I shoot some additional line after my last back cast, then I execute my presentation cast.

Randy
Old 03-31-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Pegboy: Why the obsession with so much distance, are you fish salt or after steelhead on big rivers, maybe switching to a spey rod would be a better fit (just curious)?

Larry
No problem. My obsession with distance is nothing more than a personal endevor. One of my very favorite relaxation practices (when not fishing) is simply going to a park and practicing my fly casting. I try to get out when the weather is nice 3 or 4 times a week, and many weeks every day. I love the alone time. When you practice casting that much inevitably you start laying out some distance casts. The first launch of my 105' triangle taper 8wt to the backing got the juices going, and its been my obsession ever since.I figure if I can get a 5wt out 110+ feet I can be In a very small minority of fly casters. Thats all.

Second reason: In these days of internet forums, if I'm going to spout off on a specific rods reserve power, I want to actually know what I'm talking about... How can I ever comment on a fast action rod if I can't let her rip?

Last edited by pegboy1; 03-31-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:59 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'm of the 'carry more line' school. Carry what you can control then shoot the rest.
Agreed, 100%. The only way to extreme distance is a forward cast off a very good backcast - one that straightens out completely with very, very little sag. And the tracking HAS to be dead on, as well as the turn around timing.

In order to get extreme distance with the MED you will need to be carrying at least 70' of line as Jackster said. If your rod isn't powerful enough to accelerate that length of carry (many aren't), downline your rod. One of the top tournament distance casters in Europe says an 87' carry is optimum for him with the 5 wt MED. He used to cast the 5 wt TCR and I think is using the 5 wt tcx now. Another has shortened his carry somewhat but it still approaches 80' I believe. The differences are not only in the rod, but in stroke length and haul speed.

You are going to have to play with your casting style to achieve that kind of distance. Nearly all successful tournament distance casters use a vertical casting plane, and a wedge loop, with the fly leg higher than the rod leg. But the casting style varies significantly. Some arch their backs incredibly on the backcast using an open stance, bringing the casting wrist through the space just occupied by their heads. Others, often the tall guys who are very strong, use a closed stance, right foot forward (for right handers), pushing off with the right foot for the backcast and keeping their shoulders more perpendicular to the direction of the cast at the start of the forward cast.

The former style give a longer casting stroke but makes tracking and hauling more difficult. The latter shortens the casting stroke, but makes tracking and hauling easier.

Casting in a 45 degree plane, how I fish for instance, is not so good for distance. Tracking and accuracy are much more difficult and you don't get aerodynamic lift even from a wedge shaped loop.

Lastly, the best conditions for distance are very hot days in a low pressure system with near 100% relative humidity (Avagadro's Law and the atomic weights of hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen). No, I really don't care much about distance practice or results.

Check out sexyloops website for distance casting and do a few searches. Most of those guys are obsessed with distance casting.

It doesn't take much to screw up a distance cast.

Best of luck, and have fun.

Cheers,
Jm
Old 04-03-2011, 09:39 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Peg,

If you are still around, here is a great article you might be interested in. It's a PDF file.

It's written in easy to understand language by Al Kyte and Gary Moran about an analysis they did of two groups of casters : "Good" casters and "Elite" casters casting the same equipment in the same conditions under the same circumstances while being taped with two video cameras and analyzed later.

It is probably the best article I've ever read on straightforward casting and it is aptly titled "Going for Distance".

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Portals...20Distance.pdf

I would highly recommend it for all. It is not that long and is very interesting.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegboy1 View Post
No problem. My obsession with distance is nothing more than a personal endevor. One of my very favorite relaxation practices (when not fishing) is simply going to a park and practicing my fly casting. I try to get out when the weather is nice 3 or 4 times a week, and many weeks every day. I love the alone time. When you practice casting that much inevitably you start laying out some distance casts. The first launch of my 105' triangle taper 8wt to the backing got the juices going, and its been my obsession ever since.I figure if I can get a 5wt out 110+ feet I can be In a very small minority of fly casters. Thats all.

Second reason: In these days of internet forums, if I'm going to spout off on a specific rods reserve power, I want to actually know what I'm talking about... How can I ever comment on a fast action rod if I can't let her rip?
Pegboy: Sounds like a good reason to me! I'm betting that by practicing 3-4 times a week already puts you in a very elite group of fly casters, let alone being able to eventually be able to cast over 100 ft. Best of luck in attaining your goal!

Larry

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Peg,

If you are still around, here is a great article you might be interested in. It's a PDF file.

It's written in easy to understand language by Al Kyte and Gary Moran about an analysis they did of two groups of casters : "Good" casters and "Elite" casters casting the same equipment in the same conditions under the same circumstances while being taped with two video cameras and analyzed later.

It is probably the best article I've ever read on straightforward casting and it is aptly titled "Going for Distance".

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Portals...20Distance.pdf

I would highly recommend it for all. It is not that long and is very interesting.

Cheers,
Jim
Jim: Thanks for sharing, that was a very interesting article.

Larry

Old 04-04-2011, 09:19 AM

Thanks guys!! I ran across that artical about a year ago. Yes...its a great artical that I've put a fair amount of attention towards.