The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 05:12 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Double Hauling Every Cast.

I recall another forum member about a year ago saying that he'd seen Jackster drop a fly into a cup at 45' and then crank off a 100' cast. And if he's talking about tucking a tight loop up under a Rhody, then he's probably doing exactly what he needs to do.

I don't think there's a right or a wrong as to when to double haul, or how often to double haul; it's like all casting, it's up to you what you do.

Do you need it on the salt flats and in the wind - absolutely! Do you need it on a smaller freestone stream - depends on what you want to achieve.

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 04-19-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:05 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Pocono,

Jackster has been a certified casting instructor for many years, and. no question, is an excellent one. I'm hoping one of these days to get a chance to fish with him, and get some tips on my casting at the same time.

Unfortunately, I spend far too much time working and not near enough fishing.

One thing I have learned fishing the salt, is how to splice running line back onto heads that are still in good shape. Running lines, sticky with salt, wear out very quickly in the summer heat right in the area of the final shoot where the haul under maximum load occurs.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-19-2011, 09:10 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I typically do at least a single haul unless I'm casting short distances (30' or less.) I started single hauling before I even knew what it was.... back when I started to learn it seemed the easiest way to get distance was to "flick" line through the guides with the non-rod hand.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 04-20-2011, 05:15 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean; I started doing it unconsciously when I was pulling line off the reel to get extra distance while false casting. When you pull the line off the reel, you're actually hauling on the line that you're casting.

Pocono
Old 04-20-2011, 10:30 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
When you pull the line off the reel, you're actually hauling on the line that you're casting.
Pocono
Like fingernails scraping a chalk board or chewing on tin foil this is one thing that I don't like seeing. If one strip line off with every back cast the path that line travel over the reel just can't be healthy to the line or the reel. Stop at the end of the back cast and look down at the path the line takes off the reel. Surely this is a personel thing but I prefer to strip the line off the reel that I need prior to casting.
Maybe this is why it bugs me:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:30 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Now surely that's your wife's reel and not yours, Jackster.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:36 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like my old Orvis Battenkill, Jackster. I, too, learned early about stripping line off before instead of while casting for the same exact reason.

Kelly.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:37 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Looks like a good tip to take note of. Thanks jackster.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 04-20-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Like fingernails scraping a chalk board or chewing on tin foil this is one thing that I don't like seeing. If one strip line off with every back cast the path that line travel over the reel just can't be healthy to the line or the reel. Stop at the end of the back cast and look down at the path the line takes off the reel. Surely this is a personel thing but I prefer to strip the line off the reel that I need prior to casting.
Maybe this is why it bugs me:

Click the image to open in full size.
Yup, I do strip my line off my reel before I cast; been doing that for a while now. But, when I started out, I didn't; and that's when someone commented to me about a strip having a hauling effect on the cast line. My post was replying to Ant's comment that he started hauling before he even knew what it was; I had the same experience.

Not a recommendation; just an historical anecdote.

Pocono
Old 04-22-2011, 07:46 PM

chrome_jones will become famous soon enoughchrome_jones will become famous soon enough

I'm still learning the "innate" dh. I think you are stylin', if its automatic. When it's working for me, I go to it, and I don't let it go. I can't wait until its an automatic function. Some days it just isn't happening for me. Seems to me, as a novice caster, that when I'm in the groove, it makes life easier. I just don't always have it down, with every rigging situation. It's a small effort for huge results when you know how to time it. Is there a reason you shouldn't do it?

- Jones