Double Hauling Every Cast.

pegboy1

Reaction score
I find myself (for about the last year or so) pretty much doing some sort of double haul motion on every cast lately. Weather its a slight 4 inch "wrist" double haul on a short 15 foot cast, or a a full blown haul on a 70 foot cast, I always use what I consider a double haul motion of some sort with my line hand. I think it allows me to load my rod much easier at all distances leaving my rod hand to do as little work as possible. In the coarse of a long day that equals alot less work. Does anyone else do this? Does anyone see any problems with it? I've noticed my accuracy and and finesse seem every bit as good maybe even better. Just wondering how many others, if any have adopted this technique.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
No problems. I think learning and mastering the double-haul is a primo skill to have. I find myself not even consciously using the double-haul for all of my casting. At those times when you really need it for distance it then comes as natural as breathing.

Kelly.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Last time this question came up I had to actually "watch" myself, but yeah, I do it all the time......except when I don't ;), (which is only on the shortest of casts).
It's all instinctive, unconscious muscle memory

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll agree with Kelly & Paul, it's a pretty natural thing unless you have the line pinned under the index finger of your rod hand.

Ard

wjc

Reaction score
I'll agree with Kelly & Paul, it's a pretty natural thing unless you have the line pinned under the index finger of your rod hand.
Another in agreement. I have to either leave my line hand in my pocket or on my hip to avoid hauling.

Jackster

Reaction score
I don't haul most of the time. I can't say why but I do know that you can get good form without hauling. In fact, if you ever try for the FFF casting instructor cerification, the haul is not allowed for some casts.
I'm no worse for the wear not hauling and manage to get the fly where I want it without coming home sore in any way, shape or form.

joshuanoerr

Reaction score
When I first got started, I didn't know how to double haul. Then I was taught, and started practicing all the time. Now, I realize I do it all the time, even when I'm not conciously deciding to do it. To me, it's just fun!

Here is a smiley that has nothing to do with my post, but looked fun to use...
:stretcher

wjc

Reaction score
I'm no worse for the wear not hauling and manage to get the fly where I want it without coming home sore in any way, shape or form.
Your line will certainly come home with a lot LESS wear as well, Jackster. Fishing salt water nearly all the time, and throwing big bass poppers the rest is what got me into the unconscious double hauling routine. Fresh water trout fishing rarely had me double hauling if I am remembering right.

Cheers,
Jim

GRN

Reaction score
I think it's natural to be putting some action on the line with your stirpping hand... not necessarily full on hauling, but some action that works to fine tune your loading/unloading. The only time my stripping paw isn't influencing my line is when it's not on it.

Jackster

Reaction score
Your line will certainly come home with a lot LESS wear as well, Jackster. Fishing salt water nearly all the time, and throwing big bass poppers the rest is what got me into the unconscious double hauling routine. Fresh water trout fishing rarely had me double hauling if I am remembering right.

Cheers,
Jim
\

Jim, it's not that I never haul. I used to do some competitive casting and, though the distance component usually didn't score as much as accuracy, it is still a blast to blast a cast on out there. It does indeed make fishing the salt better and let's me cover far more water when lake fishing (and makes for stripping in far more line when the dinks are out in force!) :eek:
Even in small streams there are times a very tight loop comes in handy like in tucking a loop under a rhodo overhanging or to counteract swirling mountain winds, but still, to me the haul is sorta like turbo on a car... not always needed but handy when it is.

Pocono

Reaction score
I recall another forum member about a year ago saying that he'd seen Jackster drop a fly into a cup at 45' and then crank off a 100' cast. And if he's talking about tucking a tight loop up under a Rhody, then he's probably doing exactly what he needs to do.

I don't think there's a right or a wrong as to when to double haul, or how often to double haul; it's like all casting, it's up to you what you do.

Do you need it on the salt flats and in the wind - absolutely! Do you need it on a smaller freestone stream - depends on what you want to achieve.

Pocono

Last edited:

wjc

Reaction score
Pocono,

Jackster has been a certified casting instructor for many years, and. no question, is an excellent one. I'm hoping one of these days to get a chance to fish with him, and get some tips on my casting at the same time.:D:D

Unfortunately, I spend far too much time working and not near enough fishing.

One thing I have learned fishing the salt, is how to splice running line back onto heads that are still in good shape. Running lines, sticky with salt, wear out very quickly in the summer heat right in the area of the final shoot where the haul under maximum load occurs.

Cheers,
Jim

ant

Reaction score
I typically do at least a single haul unless I'm casting short distances (30' or less.) I started single hauling before I even knew what it was.... back when I started to learn it seemed the easiest way to get distance was to "flick" line through the guides with the non-rod hand.

Pocono

Reaction score
I know what you mean; I started doing it unconsciously when I was pulling line off the reel to get extra distance while false casting. When you pull the line off the reel, you're actually hauling on the line that you're casting.

Pocono

Jackster

Reaction score
When you pull the line off the reel, you're actually hauling on the line that you're casting.
Pocono
Like fingernails scraping a chalk board or chewing on tin foil this is one thing that I don't like seeing. If one strip line off with every back cast the path that line travel over the reel just can't be healthy to the line or the reel. Stop at the end of the back cast and look down at the path the line takes off the reel. Surely this is a personel thing but I prefer to strip the line off the reel that I need prior to casting.
Maybe this is why it bugs me:

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Looks like my old Orvis Battenkill, Jackster. I, too, learned early about stripping line off before instead of while casting for the same exact reason.

Kelly.

Pocono

Reaction score
Like fingernails scraping a chalk board or chewing on tin foil this is one thing that I don't like seeing. If one strip line off with every back cast the path that line travel over the reel just can't be healthy to the line or the reel. Stop at the end of the back cast and look down at the path the line takes off the reel. Surely this is a personel thing but I prefer to strip the line off the reel that I need prior to casting.
Maybe this is why it bugs me:

Yup, I do strip my line off my reel before I cast; been doing that for a while now. But, when I started out, I didn't; and that's when someone commented to me about a strip having a hauling effect on the cast line. My post was replying to Ant's comment that he started hauling before he even knew what it was; I had the same experience.

Not a recommendation; just an historical anecdote.

Pocono

chrome_jones

Reaction score
I'm still learning the "innate" dh. I think you are stylin', if its automatic. When it's working for me, I go to it, and I don't let it go. I can't wait until its an automatic function. Some days it just isn't happening for me. Seems to me, as a novice caster, that when I'm in the groove, it makes life easier. I just don't always have it down, with every rigging situation. It's a small effort for huge results when you know how to time it. Is there a reason you shouldn't do it?

- Jones