The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   Double Hauling Every Cast. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/123609-double-hauling-every-cast.html)

pegboy1 04-07-2011 01:57 PM

Double Hauling Every Cast.

I find myself (for about the last year or so) pretty much doing some sort of double haul motion on every cast lately. Weather its a slight 4 inch "wrist" double haul on a short 15 foot cast, or a a full blown haul on a 70 foot cast, I always use what I consider a double haul motion of some sort with my line hand. I think it allows me to load my rod much easier at all distances leaving my rod hand to do as little work as possible. In the coarse of a long day that equals alot less work. Does anyone else do this? Does anyone see any problems with it? I've noticed my accuracy and and finesse seem every bit as good maybe even better. Just wondering how many others, if any have adopted this technique.

kglissmeyer1 04-07-2011 03:08 PM

Re: Double Hauling Every Cast.

No problems. I think learning and mastering the double-haul is a primo skill to have. I find myself not even consciously using the double-haul for all of my casting. At those times when you really need it for distance it then comes as natural as breathing.

Kelly.

Rip Tide 04-07-2011 03:43 PM

Last time this question came up I had to actually "watch" myself, but yeah, I do it all the time......except when I don't ;), (which is only on the shortest of casts).
It's all instinctive, unconscious muscle memory

Hardyreels 04-07-2011 03:50 PM

I'll agree with Kelly & Paul, it's a pretty natural thing unless you have the line pinned under the index finger of your rod hand.

Ard

wjc 04-07-2011 06:02 PM

Quote:

I'll agree with Kelly & Paul, it's a pretty natural thing unless you have the line pinned under the index finger of your rod hand.
Another in agreement. I have to either leave my line hand in my pocket or on my hip to avoid hauling.

Jackster 04-07-2011 07:52 PM

I don't haul most of the time. I can't say why but I do know that you can get good form without hauling. In fact, if you ever try for the FFF casting instructor cerification, the haul is not allowed for some casts.
I'm no worse for the wear not hauling and manage to get the fly where I want it without coming home sore in any way, shape or form.

joshuanoerr 04-18-2011 11:49 AM

When I first got started, I didn't know how to double haul. Then I was taught, and started practicing all the time. Now, I realize I do it all the time, even when I'm not conciously deciding to do it. To me, it's just fun!

Here is a smiley that has nothing to do with my post, but looked fun to use...
:stretcher

wjc 04-18-2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

I'm no worse for the wear not hauling and manage to get the fly where I want it without coming home sore in any way, shape or form.
Your line will certainly come home with a lot LESS wear as well, Jackster. Fishing salt water nearly all the time, and throwing big bass poppers the rest is what got me into the unconscious double hauling routine. Fresh water trout fishing rarely had me double hauling if I am remembering right.

Cheers,
Jim

GRN 04-18-2011 11:43 PM

I think it's natural to be putting some action on the line with your stirpping hand... not necessarily full on hauling, but some action that works to fine tune your loading/unloading. The only time my stripping paw isn't influencing my line is when it's not on it.

Jackster 04-18-2011 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjc (Post 243271)
Your line will certainly come home with a lot LESS wear as well, Jackster. Fishing salt water nearly all the time, and throwing big bass poppers the rest is what got me into the unconscious double hauling routine. Fresh water trout fishing rarely had me double hauling if I am remembering right.

Cheers,
Jim

\

Jim, it's not that I never haul. I used to do some competitive casting and, though the distance component usually didn't score as much as accuracy, it is still a blast to blast a cast on out there. It does indeed make fishing the salt better and let's me cover far more water when lake fishing (and makes for stripping in far more line when the dinks are out in force!) :o
Even in small streams there are times a very tight loop comes in handy like in tucking a loop under a rhodo overhanging or to counteract swirling mountain winds, but still, to me the haul is sorta like turbo on a car... not always needed but handy when it is.