The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 08:57 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default anyone used one of these aids?

Feather-Craft Fly Fishing | Fly Fishing Rods, Reels, Waders, Flies, Fly Tying Materials | Sage Rods | Simms Waders | Since 1955

my cast really needs some work badly and thought this might help me out some
anyone ever used one or know of someone who has used it and if so does it help
Old 01-23-2010, 09:23 PM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: anyone used one of these aids?

luked,

You can get a Joan Wulff version for about half the cost.

Wulff Wristlok : Cabela's

I use them with students who break their wrist. Never used the one you listed, but it looks like the Wristlok does the same thing.

Craig
Old 01-23-2010, 09:26 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

i saw that one jsut after i posted the other one...ill have to get me one of them to try....i really need a lot of work on my casting
Old 01-23-2010, 11:12 PM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about

You're in Missouri, right? Don't remember exactly where, if you've ever said.

There are several FFF affiliated clubs in MO, and many, if not most, have either certified casting instructors, or just knowledgeable folks who can probably help you with your casting.

FFF Southern Council has a clubs tab that will list all the clubs.

The wristlok will help if you're a wrist breaker.

Just remember, make a hard stop on the forward and back cast, and that a cast goes from slow to fast, not fast to slow. You MUST accelerate to a stop.

Craig
Old 01-24-2010, 06:42 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

....tuck your rod butt into your shirt sleeve
Old 01-24-2010, 10:06 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Consider spending the money on a lesson with a certified casting instructor. That will not only help fix your wristy cast (if you have one) but can fix any issues you have with the cast as well. Once that contraption fixes your wrist problem other problems with your cast will probably expose themselves that they don't make a gadget to fix.
Besides, that gizmo will give zero feedback. A good instructor will give you feedback for your particular casting problems and will give you the information needed to fix them.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Consider spending the money on a lesson with a certified casting instructor. That will not only help fix your wristy cast (if you have one) but can fix any issues you have with the cast as well. Once that contraption fixes your wrist problem other problems with your cast will probably expose themselves that they don't make a gadget to fix.
Besides, that gizmo will give zero feedback. A good instructor will give you feedback for your particular casting problems and will give you the information needed to fix them.
Jackster that is exactly what i am gonna do....a friend of my brothers who is a chiropractor is a very experienced FFer im gonna call him this week and see if he can help me out some...actually the rod i have now he helped me build.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:49 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
tuck your rod butt into your shirt sleeve
And if your sleeves are too tight, get a velcro strap and strap the butt to your forearm. The Rod Butt that is.

But all that will do is to prevent your wrist from bending too much. You still need to accelerate right up to the stop.

Then, I'd bite the bullet and get a lesson with a certified instructor. Sometimes the improvement after only one lesson is huge. If you have a video camera, bring it to the lesson and have someone film you casting and him casting.

When you are stopping correctly, you will feel it in the rod tip.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-25-2010, 09:24 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=wjc;79836] . . . get a velcro strap and strap the butt to your forearm. The Rod Butt that is. . . .
/QUOTE]

Glad you clarified that, Jim. It was going to take a pretty big piece of velcro . . . and my backcast was going to be something to see

Neil
Old 01-31-2010, 09:23 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sited View Post
Yeah, I used them and I got them from First Bass Fishing, you should try it from there~
Your SPAMMING of this site is just plain wrong.