The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 11:54 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default anyone ever deal with this? is it my cast?

im starting to get my casting down a lot better....what i have ran into here lately is when fishing with a strike indicator...i know some do but i need the rookie float what im having problems with is it seems like everytime my line is downstream of my indicator and on the drift it drags...also when i cast and let the line down it seems that almost every time my indicator is downstream of my nymph..is this something in my cast?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: anyone ever deal with this? is it my cast?

Hi luke,

I think it is your cast. You need to learn the reach cast. It is a very simple cast but will give you a much longer float. You may also be casting too far up stream and the fly is being washed to the bottom by the currant. Don't cast more that 45 degrees up stream.

You man also have your indicator too far from the Fly and it is getting hooked on the bottom and the indicator continues down stream. Position your indicator closer to the fly to solve this problem.

This video shows how to make a reach cast. I have never found it necessary to stick my tip into the water. You can also increase your reach by taking a step to one side as you make the reach. You just move the leg on the reach side away from the other foot a couple of feet. Then return your feet together after the cast.

Frank
Old 02-01-2010, 12:45 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

that makes sense thanks Frank
Old 02-01-2010, 03:32 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

One other important thing to remember... When your indicator fishing concentrate on small areas and fish them thoroughly; you shouldn't be putting a lot of line out. When you cast you should also make an upstream mend as soon as your fly hits the water.

Dan
Old 02-01-2010, 10:34 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

You might want to learn to mend (if you don't know how too already) and simply position the line anywhere you like in relation to the indicator.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:43 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

Yes work your way out into the water. Too many times people rush to get far into the water and may go thru some of the best water.
I have been fishing in some big water with fast currents. I will do long drifts in situations like this. It is good to have 1/2 spay casting ability for situations like this. Fly fishing is not a one option fits all activity.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:56 AM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

My roll casts were producing the same results though I would contribute it mostly to the stiff wind. Mending was my friend today and would give me a longer drag free drift. Reach and mend will solve the problem

Justin
Old 04-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Luked: As Jackster pointed out, if you don't know how to mend take a look at this video, this might help you: YouTube- Scott Linden's Fly Fishing Tips: How to Mend Your Line
Fly Fishing, Fly Presentation, Mending - MidCurrent

I have a great nymphing DVD called Advanced Nymph Fishing by Rick Hafele and John Smeraglio that you really need to watch! It covers a number of different nymphing techniques for different water types and describes mending in detail.

Larry