The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 09:05 AM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to hypobaricstalker
Default Casting weighted streamers

Having a bit of an issue getting them more than 20 feet out. Trying to just duck and chuck, but no dice. Could it be the flex of my rod? Scott G2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2011, 09:12 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Casting weighted streamers

I was at a casting seminar with Bob Clouser a couple of years ago on just this subject and he recommends using the oval cast

Fly Casting,The Belgian Cast - MidCurrent

Elliptical Fly Casting - fly fishing and fly casting from a pro - Günter Feuerstein international Master flycasting instructor
Old 04-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

C'mon everyone needs to take a heavily weighted fly to the back of the head now and then!

What weight is the rod your throwing them with?
What type of flyline are you using?
Length and size of your leader?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 04-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know what weight is your G2....if it's a 5wt...it's for sure not a rod to cast heavy streamers
Old 04-22-2011, 11:28 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Some casting defect is causing your to lower the rod tip during your casting stroke. (You might be pushing and pulling your elbow.)

Also, you might be casting too hard and/or waiting for your fly line to completely unroll. Both defects will cause the fly to bounce at the end of the cast and add slack to the line.

Randy
Old 04-22-2011, 06:28 PM

chrome_jones will become famous soon enoughchrome_jones will become famous soon enough

HBS,

There is some good advice here, but it's vague advice. I think some more specifics on your rod wt/line choice/leader type and length/ fly wt would yield some more specific, good advice on your trouble. I only chime in because, I really received no formal education on casting, and it is taking me forever to learn the hard way. I have tended to find my own solutions, but slowly, through "A-HA" moments. I am a horrible caster, considering how many flies I've thrown. Being not a part of a local fly fishing community, and most of the people I know gear fish or don't fish. I just do my own thing. Even though my fly buddies that introduced me to this are split-shot, big pooftie-yarn-dicator types or straight dry fly guys, I wandered away toward big ugly streamers, cuz it was fun to me. What I do know is that the article Rip Tide posted sounds a lot like what I spent years trying to figure out alone, mostly cuz no-one I fished with was doing it. I just read that article, but I think I'm gonna read it three more times. It's making sense. It sounds like what I've discovered slowly by accident, wish I woulda been reading about fly casting a long time ago, no one told me. I didn't learn basketball from a book or magazine, but I'm pretty damn good at it. Just realizing, fly fishing is a different kinda sport.

Big uglies cast quite different. It's not the rod, as you wondered and were asking, as I have several, distinctly different rod actions in my quiver, and I have been forced to learn to throw streamers on each. It's my tempo that needs to adjust, and the length of line I choose to let out the tip top at the starting point that changes with each rod/line/leader/fly combo. And each combo takes me a while to figure out as I change setups. But now, reading that midcurrent article. I think thats an absolute, spot on, place to start. Then start adjusting your tempo to find the balance. And hey, give some more info here, you might have a rigging issue you don't realize. Someone might notice, and likely, would be happy to help I'm sure. In the mean time, hell yes, we all catch a few shots in the back of the head, cause its an awkward casting style at first. Throw some more of the 411 on your rig.

Good luck,
Jones
Old 04-22-2011, 06:51 PM

damato1969co is on a distinguished road

Randy and Chrome both have good advise, the lowdown....Open up your loop quite a bit and dont make a bunch of false casts.....When your using heavy streamers you want to pick up alot of line and shoot from there. One more thing thats pretty important, dont be scared...If it really worries you turn your cast off to the side just a little.....
Old 04-22-2011, 07:18 PM

chrome_jones will become famous soon enoughchrome_jones will become famous soon enough

Damato, another good point, that I will ignorantly agree with as a a newbie. False casts, with awkward heavy setups, are more harm then good in the early stages. I tried it, as a dork, that didn't know they were different animals... can be done, and I've learned to do it, but, an advanced skill for better guys than me, to be sure. Honestly, remembering back to when I couldn't toss a streamer, my first cheat was to water load any cast I could, even if it was a three or four point cast, it will get you in the zone before an ugly, weight affected, overhead style, cast that wasn't meant to throw that rig. Saves a lot of fishing time from wondering what went wrong. Fishing sooner = fishing more. Those wide ranging water-loads developed into an understanding of tempo, that were evolved into my own streamer casting style for each of my rods. A-La the eliptical cast Rip referred to. I just got there the hard way.

Absolutely don't false cast this setup till you figure out what it really takes to move it out to the target.

-Jones
Old 04-22-2011, 07:56 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

The G2 like the original G series is a dry fly rod. Let the rod do the work. Stop at the 2 o'clock position on your back cast. It's a medium rod. One step up from a full flex. Very nice rod though.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:10 PM

Mojo, I'm curious about this, cause, I'm still trying to figure it out myself. Is what you are saying .. to move your arm further back to 2 o'clock so the rod bends less? Just unrolling line by its own accord, instead of stopping short and letting the rod load? Confused but curious.

- Jones

Last edited by chrome_jones; 04-22-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: clarification