The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 07:53 PM

drnihili is on a distinguished road
Default Adjusting the cast to the action.

Can someone give me a brief primer on how to go about adjusting my cast to a faster rod? I know I'm going to have to watch and see what happens, but I'd like to know how to start out making changes. What am I likely to have to do?
Old 04-10-2010, 12:27 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Adjusting the cast to the action.

One of the first things is to speed up the stroke and then adjust the pause time accordingly.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:33 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

When I was having trouble with casting a faster action rod, Frankb2 recommended I use a more compact stroke and it did indeed help me. He also sent me this video link to watch to get a feel (visual) of what a compact stroke looks like. YouTube- Sage Z-Axis Fly Rod - Leland Fly Fishing Outfitters. I am still trying to figure out how to cast without a ton of effort - the good casters make it look so easy - but I can at least cast my fast action rods a little better now.

d
Old 04-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
When I was having trouble with casting a faster action rod, Frankb2 recommended I use a more compact stroke and it did indeed help me. He also sent me this video link to watch to get a feel (visual) of what a compact stroke looks like. YouTube- Sage Z-Axis Fly Rod - Leland Fly Fishing Outfitters. I am still trying to figure out how to cast without a ton of effort - the good casters make it look so easy - but I can at least cast my fast action rods a little better now.

d
Dave: Check out this short trailer taken from the DVD Taming the Wind by Prescott Smith. Orvis Podcasts - Casting into the Wind
Basically, he is teaching how to cast into the wind and is using a technique where he keeps the rod arm in close to the body, but the rod tip is moved in a arc on the back stroke so he has constant contact with the line. You will see that he is casting into some pretty heavy wind without trying to over power the rod.

Larry
Old 04-10-2010, 10:08 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Shorten the casting stroke (arc) from what you do with a slower rod, given the same length of line being cast for both.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-10-2010, 04:24 PM

drnihili is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
One of the first things is to speed up the stroke and then adjust the pause time accordingly.
Does that mean increase the pause time by the amount I decrease the stroke time, or decrease the pause time by the same proportion as the stroke time?
Old 04-10-2010, 07:31 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnihili View Post
Does that mean increase the pause time by the amount I decrease the stroke time, or decrease the pause time by the same proportion as the stroke time?
For the same distance in a slow and a fast stroke. the pause for the fast stroke will be shorter.
Simply keeping an eye on your back cast to watch for when it straightens should help. Later, hopefully, once you get the feel and the timing down, the need to watch your back cast won't be necessary.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:27 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Darnhili, when I am getting someone, squared away, with a new faster rod. I have them face away from me, and close their eyes, then I slowly load the rod by pulling on the line, while it is locked at their back stroke (two o'clock). When the force applied inclines them to bend their wrist rearwards a little, thats the feeling to look for.
Whether you have a soft or fast rod, you need to feel the load in it before you start your forward stroke. A complete stop, either in front or rear is so important to the physics of the cast. A soft stop with a soft rod might let you feel the time for forward stroke, but not with a "fast action" rod. Accelerate the rod, then stop like you've hit a wall.
Once you feel the load in the rod, you are ready to cast.
When I cast a clients rod for the first time, I lay some line on the water and "water load" it once, to see where it loads. Then I need a stroke or two to feel the timing.
Many times I get more from their old rod than they do. My experience tells me, folks need to dial their cast more, than they need a new rod.
Where I find it is time for them to get a new rod, is when they try and fish bobbers/indies/weight with a soft dry fly rod. There is a design peramiter to every tool, you have to learn each tool's action, to gain the most good from it. Then, learn where it is best applied, or not.
I have been casting a switch rod lately, and find it is much slower/softer than the rods I normally cast. This requires me to wait a long time "seemingly" before my front stroke.
A shorter snappy stroke will teach more about your new rod than throwing 100 feet.
Besides, the fish are right next to you! Go get'em! Hope this helps a bit.

Jim

Bigfly