The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 10:10 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default "Five Essentials of the Fly Cast"

I can't remember if I posted this link before on this forum or not, but I keep seeing the same questions about casting asked all the time and thought I'd post it again if I haven't already.

Virtual Fly Casting - Instruction - The 5 Essentials

There are good animations linked to in blue on each numbered essential. If I knew how to make animations I'd add a bunch of them myself, showing what happens when you violate on the the essentials, which I do often enough to know exactly what in fact happens (especially the numerous ways to throw tailing loops).

If the essentials are followed in a single-handed overhead cast, the results will be beautiful. Understanding exactly what is supposed to be done is the first step, in my opinion, in being able to analyse what I am doing wrong in the cast so that I can fix it.

The site has a lot of great information gathered from the most proficient casters ever, and is a good one to explore.

I would think links to it and other specific pages on other sites might be good for a sticky.

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 04-11-2010 at 08:13 AM.