The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2006, 03:44 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Lack of Power?

I keep all my rods with the reels attatched in rod cases. Saves me time and I never forget a reel.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:46 AM

odi3 is on a distinguished road

Another question:

How important is the warranty on a flyrod? for example, new rods seem to be about 580, but used ones for same model are about 350-400.

Will the companies repair my rod if its a factory rod and doesnt have a warranty? (i assume charge me or something)
How far do warranties go? Anyone have any examples of when they used or didnt use a warranty and the total costs?
Old 08-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Lots of new rods with warrantys are in the $580 range, but you can now find great rods in the sub $200 range with unconditional lifetime warranties as well. (examples, ECHO, Temple Fork, Beulah)

I would buy a new rod if I were you, as getting warranty work done on a second hand rod is iffy at best. For example, if you bought a Winston XTR second hand and broke the tip, I would be suprised if you could get the rod fixed for less than $60, in addition to paying for shipping the rod 2 ways. If the rod that you get secondhand is discontinued by the time you need it repaired, you may be totally S.O.L., whereas if you have a warranty on a new rod, the mfg will likely be responsible to replace yours with the current equivalent.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by odi3
One other question:when i do decide on a rod to buy, do you guys prefer the tube (must remove the reel from the rod) or the rod/reel case? (leave rod attached to reel)Thanks for the rod suggestions and sexyloops site link, gunna read it tonight!
I have several rod/reel cases, and yest I prefer them....sometimes.
I also have a reel case for ALL my reels and on occassion I have looked for a reel in the case only to remember it is with a rod in another case.
I never leave the reel attached to the rod in those cases however. Specially if you put them away wet. Did once and the reel left a discoloration on my reel seat, and no I don't use cheap stuff.:
Old 08-01-2006, 08:58 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

When traveling in car or plane, I use a tube for the rod and the reel in a seperate case with my other tackle. When fishing in the local lake, I break the rod into two pieces (that's why I use 2, 4, or 6 piece rods) and put them into a protective PVC tube in the boat or truck, with the reel attached, line strung, and the reel protected by a neoprene cover. I never leave the rod in this condition for over a couple hours, though.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 08-11-2007, 04:25 PM

trouty is on a distinguished road

odi - Seeing as you said you've never watched a good fly-caster, nor do you know whether the fault lies with your technique... I'd say that, whether you actually need a new rod or not, you should join a nearby casting club and get some advice and casting lessons (usually free). I did that after 20 years of chucking a flyline and never really doing it right. You won't believe how great it is to get hands-on advice from someone who really knows what they're doing and can show you right away where you are going wwrong. But, be prepared for a few months of frustration as you re-learn - but with big rewards at the end.
(Then you can go crazy on new rods!)

Dave