The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default A Very Effective Cast;

Stack Mending;

This is an excellent way to attain depth with a streamer without resorting to the use of weight. The technique can be used with floating lines or sink tips. This is a way to get additional depth on a swing.

Here is a short description of the cast:

1. You are going to place a cast up and across stream.
2. With a high rod tip you are going to throw a series of small slack line roll casts at the point where your cast has landed. By doing this in quick succession to your cast landing you will effectively "Stack" line on top of your cast.

This stacked line cast will allow your streamers additional time to sink even more so than a 'Reach Cast' or a 'Slack line cast' followed by a quick upstream mend. Like everything else about fly casting the Stack Mend will take some practice to master. When you are faced with the time and place where making a deep swing presentation are the difference between reaching a fish or not, you'll be glad to have this in your bag of tricks.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-19-2010, 01:28 AM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: A Very Effective Cast;

Do you stack it like you would in a drift? Or do you actually stack the loops directly on top of each other?

Wouldn't a pile cast accomplish the same thing without all the fancy hand work? Stack mending is difficult even in a slow, drift situation if your not used to it. Trying to do it directly after a streamer hits the water sounds rough.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:42 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Oregon,

It is not too hard to get used to doing it. Yes, you just flip a couple of loops of line right on top of the end of your cast. Like I said in the post, practice will pay off. It also helps to remember that this is not a cast that you are doing constantly, in many situations a simple slack line / drop cast followed by an upstream mend will do. The stack cast is for that special spot where you need the extra sink time before the swing.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:16 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Nice tip Ard...

Dan
Old 04-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: Thanks for sharing, I'm going to have to practice that stacked cast!

Larry
Old 04-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Hey guy's,

I need to mention that this is not something of my own design. I have been a streamer fisherman for a long time and in the mid 90's I got hold of a video marketed by Doug Swisher. It was about his techniques for streamer fishing for big trout. It was in this presentation that I first saw this cast used.

I was duly impressed with the concept (it helped that Doug hooked a big brown while demonstrating the cast) that I began to practice using it to reach difficult trout on Pennsylvania's Spring Creek. I can say unequivocally that once mastered, the technique works great. When it is used as the set up for a Greased line presentation to down stream targets it is an Ace in the hole, no pun intended.

Ard
Old 04-21-2010, 09:58 AM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Check out this video from fishbaldwin.com

April 2nd, 2010 on Vimeo

It is taken from their 4/6/10 fishing report. About 3 minutes into the video, you see him using a similar technique to throw mends. He also explains the use of the technique to get your drift in closer to structure such as timber or undercut banks.

Last edited by ddombos2; 04-21-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Administrator

I looked but found no video, You can contact Doug Swisher at Doug Swisher dot com, to order these videos.

I am not much of a (Watch movie to get better at something) sort of guy but I must admit there were a few things in his program that may have taken me the rest of my life to figure out (if ever). I found the program in 1994 or so and have been using tips from it ever since. So if you want to get better at the Nymph & Streamer game this may be worth a look.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;