The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   Learn the Double Haul Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/13516-learn-double-haul-cast.html)

mcnerney 04-26-2010 05:55 PM

Learn the Double Haul Cast

For those of you that don't know how to do a double haul cast, here is an excellent video by the late Mel Krieger: YouTube- Learn the Double Haul Cast with Mel Krieger
Larry

rmooney 04-26-2010 06:22 PM

Re: Learn the Double Haul Cast

i was casting my new 10 weight last weekend, and the double haul def. helped get that sucker goin!

Hardyreels 04-26-2010 09:21 PM

I hear you, there are definitely times when knowing beats wishing.

Jimmie 04-26-2010 11:34 PM

Good one Larry. Can'twait to give it a try. I'm one that can't do it yet. Some of the guys at our club cast unreal distances doing it so I hope to get it.
I like watching Mel Krieger.

ddombos2 04-27-2010 11:11 AM

One word. Downup. This video made the thing finally click for me.

mcnerney 04-27-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddombos2 (Post 89828)
One word. Downup. This video made the thing finally click for me.

I couldn't agree more, I really like Mel Krieger's approach to teaching fly casting.

Larry

Bigfly 04-28-2010 09:41 AM

We lost a great teacher when Mel passed.
I use this cast more than every other style.
Don't even know I do it anymore.
Once it was sooo hard, now It's hard for me to show someone without it sneaking in.
Far fewer false casts, if any, with sink tips, floating lines, whatever.. Pick it up, put it down!
Wind is still the enemy, but now we have a weapon.

Jim

Jimmie 04-28-2010 10:31 PM

Holy cow! Mel wasn't kidding when he said it's like patting your tummy and rubbing your head. I just got back from a practice session at the park. My grade: F-.

mcnerney 04-28-2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmie (Post 90004)
Holy cow! Mel wasn't kidding when he said it's like patting your tummy and rubbing your head. I just got back from a practice session at the park. My grade: F-.

Jimmie: Keep practicing, it will become second nature after a bit of practice.

Larry

wjc 05-24-2010 08:20 AM

Quote:

Mel wasn't kidding when he said it's like patting your tummy and rubbing your head.
Before I introduced my daughter to the double haul, I asked her to rub her tummy and pat her head - which I already knew she could do.:D

Then had her mime the double haul in front of the mirror just like Mel was doing. It"s a good way to get the hang of it, and get your confidence up before you start.

I think the "backcast' should be renamed the "upcast". Throw that rod tip to the sky.

Cheers,
Jim