The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 11:59 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Foot position?

I was reading on the "Sexy Loop" that you should have your right foot forwad during the cast if you are right handed. No wonder my casting skinks, I have always placed my left foot forward.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:03 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Foot position?

Imagine what Steve Rajeff could do if he knew that trick!

To do that effectively for distance you do need a great amount of flexibility. It might help in your tracking but other benefits I can't quite figure out.
For we mere mortals and Steve Rajeff who WHIPS the Euro's butts when it comes to fly casting I think it's a safe bet to stay with and open stance until you get so good you have to reinvent the wheel.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Sounds sortta like the 'Margarina' but not really. I think proper positioning of your feet may be very important as you learn the fundamentals of casting. Once you are an accomplished caster you may choose to present many casts from a kneeling position as I have done for years on small streams.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting.

For me it depends if it's whether I'm trying to throw a decent distance or looking for close in accuracy-- fishing dries in pocket water for instance.

I'm right handed and I usually cast

for distance ( salt water, big rivers etc) open stance with my left foot forward (like throwing a foot ball), and my right forward,

in close for accuracy right foot forward and leading with the right shoulder (like throwing darts)
Old 05-06-2010, 08:47 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Makes sense. I have been keeping a rod rigged up on the back porch so I can get a few casts in each day. Plan on working on a few things the next few days.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Tracker12,

Being right handed I cast mostly with my left foot forward. For close casting I may have my feet parallel but not with my right foot forward. Now if I am casting from my left shoulder I will have my right foot forward to give me a longer casting stroke. I looked for the article you mentioned but never found it. Their recommendation must have been based on some specific cast.

Frank

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 05-13-2010 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:57 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Tracker, I've mentioned this before, but if someone is a recovering spinner fisherman, a right foot forward can defuse the wind up and throw habit.
When you use the power of the rod, instead of the power of the arm, you can cast anyway it pleases you. Good distance is the evidence that you are getting the cast right.
The hazard is that you will fish "overthere" instead of nearby. I catch many fish within a few feet of my feet.
I have a hula hoop for a big target on my lawn (you can hang it too). I like to do BB in the bucket as well. SS mixing bowl, nine ft leader, and one BB on it.
Layout nine ft of line, with the shot already in the bowl. Now, pick it up, and put it back. Repeat until you can't miss. Now go fish!!!

Jim

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 05-12-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:20 PM

Nice drill. Never thought to use a BB but it makes sense since I through a lot of nymphs. Frank the instruction I was referring to was in the basics section I will try to find it and link it in a post. I played around a little in the backytard this evening and did notice that with around 20' of line out I was very acurate with the right foot forward slightly and the line laid out very nicely.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:20 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

It is possible to throw flies a considerable distance with the right foot forward, though most right handers prefer the left forward.

The biggest advantage to right forward is accuracy and tracking. However, Rick Hartman is right up there with Steve Rajeef when competing in the distance events. Below results from the 2008 Best of the West distance event. One foot at those distances is not a huge percentage win.

Steve Rajeff - 115’1”
Rick Hartman - 114’1”
Brian O’Keefe - 112’9”
Jim Gunderson - 112’ 8”
Bill Gammel - 105’5”
Clay Roberts _ 101’5”

Cheers,
Jim
Old 05-12-2010, 11:00 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking about this thread yesterday when I was casting perched on a stream bed of snot covered bowling balls
As far as I'm concerned, as long as you're upright, that's the right foot position