The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 12:39 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Re: no back cast

If there is an small opening in the vegetation you could do you casting backwards. Make your forward cast to the opening and your backcast onto the water, otherwise do what everyone else has suggested.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:57 PM

achampion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
I'd learn to rollcast
I'll over-simply but Spey Casts are just a means to reposition a fly line before executing a Roll Cast. Changing directions with just a Roll Cast can be quite difficult, as Roll Casts are best performed along the line of the fly line on the water, hence the numerous Spey casts to reposition the line.
-A.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:56 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I taught myself to spey cast watching you tube videos. One of the ones I watched was the RIO's modern spey casting trailer. At 1:23 in, it is all single hand spey casting. I'm sure that at some point someone may tell you that you need to overline the rod a bunch to do it, but it is NOT true. I have been doing it all spring with a 7 wt. Trevor Morgan single hand line and a 8 wt. single hand rod. (Underlined one weight) I am going to do a video shortly that shows single hand spey casting a snap-T, double spey, perry poke and single spey, and one I have been practicing, a cackhanded reverse snap-T with an around double spey. I'm doing it to prove the point you do not need to overline and there is NO waiting to feel the rod load. Your motion is what loads the rod and if you are waiting at any point to feel it load you are doing it wrong. I just need my time off to coincide with a day that has a less than 30 mph wind, which for the last week and a half has never happened.

As Ard was saying, it does make a disturbance on the water, and unless you are good enough to put a bunch of line out there you (and the fish are out that far to) may spook a few fish. It does however open up places to you that an overhead cast will not get your fly to.

I am putting two videos on here. One is the RIO trailer. When I was teaching myself to do it, I stood in front of the computer and mimmicked the motion, then took notes. Practice one cast at a time. Learn the single spey first. If you use heavier or bulky flies like I generally do, learn to perry poke/single spey. The other video is my video about Trevor Morgan spey lines. It shows a snap-T in it at 1:58. Notice that I never stop moving. There is at no point any "waiting to feel the rod load". I load the rod by making the cast. In single hand spey casting, you need to add a haul to get real distance and make up for the lack of several extra feet of rod.

One thing that helps is a longer head. My Trevor Morgan 7wt. single hand line has a 43.5' head (most lines have a 30' head) and the running line is a different color than the head. (I have been putting the color change about a foot inside the rod) This also helps but is not required. Make a mark on the line (to be placed at the tip of the rod) with a magic marker where it spey casts well. Use tape or some other temporary mark till you find that point.
If you have any questions PM me. By the way, if you have the money for the RIO DVD, it is worth every penny.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:00 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

spey line on single hand rod?
Sorry about the time it took to get back to this. Here is a link to a post on another thread with the video I said I would do.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Dan,

You have that down to a science! I'm not so sure I would want to watch a video of me doing that That's one heck of an endorsement for the lines!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-05-2011, 12:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Dan,

That's one heck of an endorsement for the lines!
I have got to say, it's a heck of a good line. I really like the white head. I still think it's the hardest color for fish to see against the sky. I caught a pile of Smallmouth this year with it and lined pretty much every single one. It overhead casts really well. I like the two tone thing. It really helps with spey casting, but overhead casting it is good to. I can hit the color change give a good haul and shoot line like a canon. I would have done the video sooner, but the Smallmouth fishing when it's really good in the spring is a small window of time. I have been busier than a one armed paper hanger and given the choice between big Smallmouth and making a video, Smallies win. That and persistant rotton windy weather. I've got four of Trevor Morgan's lines now and love every dang one of them. This is the first single hand line I got from him. The other three are all spey lines.