The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 04:32 PM

alexcirabisi is on a distinguished road
Default no back cast

i bass fish alot, and while out today i encountered a problem, i had a great place to cast too, but ALOT of vegetation behind me, which prevented me from using my fly rod at my favorite spot. is there a way to cast with out back casting?
Old 05-15-2011, 04:49 PM

Rob11 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: no back cast

Start searching on Google:

1) Roll Cast
2) Snap-T Cast
3) In general: Single Handed Fly Rod Casting using Spey Techniques

There are many videos available online. Then, practice. Befriend someone who is able to show you how. The FFF is a good place to start if there is a club in your area. Even so, go to the FFF web site and take advantage of the casting information.

You're going to encounter the limited space situation frequently. Get proficient with several different casting techniques that enable you to get your fly to where you want it under different circumstances. If you pursue this, in much less than a year, you'll be helping others. Good luck!
Old 05-15-2011, 07:45 PM

awesome thanks. what is the FFF website?
Old 05-15-2011, 09:30 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcirabisi View Post
Click this link... Let me google that for you
Old 05-16-2011, 08:56 AM

lol thanks
Old 05-16-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcirabisi View Post
Sorry, it's the Federation of Fly Fishers. Among the many things the group does, it certifies fly casting instructors. It's an excellent program that doesn't limit people to any one casting style or technique. In doing so, the FFF provides excellent information on their web site to enable people to learn to cast and to prepare for the casting instructor certification tests.

Jackster provided links in the post above.

There are many other sources for casting information on the Internet as well.

Final thought: it should be obvious that you don't need to be a certified instructor to be proficient at casting (I'm told often that I'm certifiable, but that has nothing to do with fishing), but you can take advantage of the wealth of casting information out there to learn and find the style and technique that's right for you under many circumstances.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:28 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

If you get involved with spey casting be prepared to spend a lot of money and a lot of time learning.

(I found the videos lacking, and had to go through a lot of grief until I felt I was a competent spey caster.)

For bass fishing on a lake, I'd strongly consider a skagit, spey line.

Randy
Old 05-16-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
If you get involved with spey casting be prepared to spend a lot of money and a lot of time learning.

(I found the videos lacking, and had to go through a lot of grief until I felt I was a competent spey caster.)

For bass fishing on a lake, I'd strongly consider a skagit, spey line.

Randy
Randy - the only reason I mentioned Spey is that many of the Spey techniques that enable you to deal with limited casting space can be applied to a single-handed fly rod. They are very effective and give you a broader set of options to draw from in certain circumstances than simply using a roll cast. I was not recommending to the OP that he go with a two-handed rig.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:32 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I'd learn to rollcast.

I rollcast a lot - where I learned (self taught) to cast - there was a lot of willows, etc behind me, and I learned that cast as a matter of necessity.

With practice, it can get the flies out quite a ways
Old 05-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Alex,

It looks like the folks have you on the right track already. I just returned from a trip where I had no room for back cast but when fishing streamers I prefer not to back cast anyway so........... The single hand Spey cast advice will serve well unless you have spooky fish and calm water. I have been using these casting techniques for many years with 9 foot rods and you can become quite good at delivering your fly with no back cast. The casting does cause some disturbance on the water surface so it may not be the ticket if the fish are wary.

I have been faced with conditions that seemed almost impossible to address with fly fishing equipment and casting. Some spots are just not conducive to our preferred methods of fishing and then we must decide whether to move on or to find a solution. Sometimes the only method that makes sense is a spin casting rig and if you feel you must catch those fish you may have to go that route.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;