The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 04:07 PM

yareelohim is on a distinguished road
Default Leader hitting line?

I am having an issue with my forward cast. Once in awhile my leader/fly with hit my fly line on the forward cast. I'm not sure why this is or there is even an explination but I thought I would ask here to see if anyone has experience with this. Any info on why this is and how I could fix it would be great. Thanks everyone!

- Jonathan
Old 06-07-2010, 05:26 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leader hitting line?

Sounds like a tailing loop problem. Slow down a bit on your strokes. Let that back cast stretch out completely before pushing your forward stroke. Too often we tend to snap that arm forward without the cast straightening behind us and it results in a tailing loop which, in turn, results in some new knots in your previously knotless leader.

Kelly.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:51 PM

yareelohim is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info, I will try to slow it down a bit, maybe over exagerate my back cast hold to see what that does too. I'm not sure what a tailing loop looks like but I have been hearing alot about them. Thanks again.

- Jonathan
Old 06-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
Sounds like a tailing loop problem. Slow down a bit on your strokes. Let that back cast stretch out completely before pushing your forward stroke. Too often we tend to snap that arm forward without the cast straightening behind us and it results in a tailing loop which, in turn, results in some new knots in your previously knotless leader.

Kelly.
I'd also bet a tailing loop is the cause. Another fix is to accelerate more gradually through the stroke. Pushing too hard too early overloads the rod and it will start to come out of its bend before you want it to, causing the rod tip to follow a concave path-
Click the image to open in full size.

instead of a straight path-
Click the image to open in full size.

(Images grabbed from- Corporateflyrods )

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:12 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Follow the link on this post:

"Five Essentials of the Fly Cast"

Read the 5 essentials and watch the animations.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-08-2010, 12:56 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

If you are moving the rod forward and backward on exact ally the same plane it is not an unusual phenomena for the line to be trailing along its own course. A slight alteration in the pitch of your wrist will alleviate the problem. Timing / line speed etc. are factors that influence the cast but the plane of travel at the rod tip is most often the culprit when the fly is either hooking into the line or striking the rod tip.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-08-2010, 07:27 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I'd also bet a tailing loop is the cause. Another fix is to accelerate more gradually through the stroke. Pushing too hard too early overloads the rod and it will start to come out of its bend before you want it to, causing the rod tip to follow a concave path-
This is the problem I see most frequently... a poor application of power.
As Cliff says, power late instead of early to help prevent the rod tip path from going concave on you.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:41 AM

cwg is on a distinguished road

oh, what a grand thread. thanks- its maddening when you can lay out a line line lefty, then two casts later have a ball of lineleadertippet wad drop just in front of you...
I think fatigue in my case lent to some wind knots last night.
Windy, I mean windy! last night, 3 hours of paddling canoe, casting took its toll.

the guru's here
Old 06-08-2010, 09:55 PM

boreal is on a distinguished road

I just keep adding sabikki rigs to those knots.
Lemons=lemonade

Don't seem to catch any more fish but the pond is suspiciously free from weeds in my usual haunts
"I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg
Old 06-09-2010, 05:05 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yareelohim View Post
Thanks for the info, I will try to slow it down a bit, maybe over exagerate my back cast hold to see what that does too. I'm not sure what a tailing loop looks like but I have been hearing alot about them. Thanks again.

- Jonathan
Jonathan,

Try standing in a 3/4 stance when you cast. It will allow you to easily watch both your back cast and your forward cast; watching the line will help you manage your casting stroke successfully. If you're generating tailing loops, then you'll be able to see them clearly when you start to apply power to the forward cast.

As others have said, once your line has straightened our on your back cast, start the acceleration on your forward cast more slowly and finish up with a strong, crisp stop. The same thing goes for the back cast; the forward cast and the back cast should pretty much mirror each other.

If you're having trouble "feeling" the line on your casts, then either go to a medium action rod or overline by one weight. Both will increase "feel", which can be useful in overcoming casting problems, like tailing loops.

Good luck!

Pocono