The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: A stylish and important lesson-

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I'm just trying to think how I do this if I forget before I get out on the flats...
Tie on some of that 30lb mono you keep on hand for emergency butt sections and your ugliest fly, hook it to a reef/pole/etc, walk 80' away and stretch it tight.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:37 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Yeah, I was more thinking for when I'm on the boat... mangroves are always an option I guess

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-11-2011, 09:25 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Gator,

I fly fish barefooted in a boat, and sometimes use solid, hard monocore lines, which are a real pain when it comes to memory coils. Stretching before leaving is nice, but that will not even last all day if you run to different locations.

So I stick the line under my bare foot and stretch it in segments by pulling up with both hands. But beware of sunburning the tops of your feet if you are in the habit of wearing shoes and socks.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 09-12-2011, 09:36 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Thanks Jim, I'll try this method And I've always gone barefooted in the boat, so if I get sunburned, well that's my own fault Usually my feet get the most sunscreen anyway, since most everything else is covered.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-12-2011, 05:07 PM

cappy is on a distinguished road

rod and pull it tight. After a night rigged and streatched ya worries are over. ya aint gotta worry bout hookin' ya toes either[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 09-13-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:12 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
I gotta admit-- at first I thought this was a comedy skit.... And I assumed that he was going to snag that first girl on the bike and 'stretch' his fly line....
I must admit that I thought exactly the same
Old 09-12-2011, 08:56 PM

To stretch my f-line I stretch it out as Ii strip it out in prep of the first cast. I just hold the line to the rod handle with my right hand and pull the line out with my left stretching it at arms reach. Once my fishing length is at my feet a quick glance will show ya any remaining kinks. You will be amazed at how easy a well stretched, cleaned and slicked f-line will slide through the eyes[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 09-13-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:30 AM

So I may have been being paranoid, but can I use a tree with rougher bark or does it have to be something like a birch? Do I have to be worried about abrading the fly line or is it more durable than I'm thinking?

Old 09-13-2011, 10:53 AM

A few years ago I picked up a new line, the box said it was new and improved with 'memory foam'. Well guess what the stuff remembered??? The dang loops [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 09-13-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:41 PM

Sure you didn't pick up a mattress, cappy? Hahaha.