The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Applying Power!

Some have likely read the little I've written about struggles I'm having improving my cast. I've been satisfied with my cast for years as I've been fortunate enough to catch a good number of wild trout I can't remember the last time I've thrown a tailing loop, and my flies don't slap the water unless I do so purposely and I was satisfied with my distance and accuracy, because I seldom do not place the fly where within the parimeters I want it.

However, since joining the club I belong to and I've been watching expert casters who easily cast distances I've never even considered and could land a fly in a Dixie cup at any distance. This has caused me to desire to improve my cast.

The one thing that I've been shown by Certified Casters and others who are just good is that they lift the line smoothly and right before firmly stopping their rod tip at the end of the cast they apply a last minute burst of power by snapping their wrist slightly .

This is what I've been shown I'm not doing. I basically apply the power from the beginning of the cast till I come to a complete stop without bending my wrist then once the line straitens begin my forward or back cast. When I attempt to be more smooth and apply that last second power snap the line nearly falls down on my head like a rock, not exactly, but it falls in a heap.

I hope Ard or someone can explain something to me that will help me. One of the things I've recognized about the casting technique I've developed over 25 years is that it is less efficient and more work than necessary.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 05-26-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:07 PM

rrarods is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Applying Power!

Tom,

I am sure others will know this more than I but I believe what they are doing is the same as adding extra power in a golf swing. By doing the last minute wrist snap they are essentially speeding up the tip speed therefore increasing line speed at the last minute. This does two things. It obviously adds more power, but it at the same times eliminates a tailing loop and possibly snapping your fly off if you were to try to generate that power from the start of the forward cast.
In golf you will see the greats break their wrists at the bottom of the down swing genterating a tremendous amount of power at the last second. Same principle really.
If you are able to add that last wrist break you are able to generate a lot more power and line speed directly into the direction you are casting your fly without having to really use much arm strength and extra work. You are able to cast just as far as someone who is really using a lot of effort and has a greater possiblility of tailing loops and having their fly not go directly the direction they want. Bottom line is you can cast further and more acuratly with less effort if you can time the wrist snap correctly.
Keeping the least amount of effort in your fly cast will make everything much smoother. If you can generate the same power with a nice smooth cast and wrist snap as you can with a powerful full arm motions why wouldn't you?

Custom Rods You Can Afford to Fish
www.rollingriveranglers.com
Old 05-25-2011, 08:40 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

You are saying they're snapping the wrist at the end of the cast? Right before letting the line fly, right?
I think of it as flicking paint off a brush. That's how I try to explain it to beginners. They seem understand better using that analogy.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Thanks guys.

Mojo, the idea of flicking paint off of a paint brush makes a lot of sense as its easy to visualize while casting.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:10 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Tom,
There has been a lot of good information so far. When you see Sam and the guys, take a look at their line hands. Watch how much or how little they move their hands when hauling.

Dennis
Old 05-27-2011, 09:25 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Tom,

Smooth does not mean slow.

Take a shot glass and fill it 1/3 with water then stand with a wall 3-4 feet behind you. Accelerate to a stop and shoot the water into the wall. It should hit with a loud splat nearly all of it in a small area - not in a line on the wall. That is the motion for the backcast. You need a good backcast to get a long forward cast. To get a really loud "splatt" you wiill need a good wrist snap at the very end of the stroke just before the stop. The "squeeze the handle to a stop".

When you switch to the rod, just practice pickups and one backcast just like if a fish rose behind you and you are casting to it. After the "backcast-stop" extend your rod tip toward the direction of the line.

Then turn around, and walk back (if necessary) to get all the slack out of your line and do it again. No forward casts or false casting, just pickups and backcast laydowns. Watch the loop on the backcasts, and vary the "stop" position until you are getting nice tight loops. Then increase the amount of line you have out once you are happy with the loops and try it with more and more line out.

Once you have tuned your backcasts, then start working on distance.

PS: Read the thread entitled "Creep"

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 05-27-2011 at 09:39 AM. Reason: PS: Edit in red.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:04 PM

Jim, Thank you VERY much!
Old 05-27-2011, 03:46 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

George Revel from Leland Outfitters demonstrating distance casting and power: