The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 11:12 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: casting distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
flailing 70' across the stream just to get your fly "over there" and in the general vicinity of a rising fish is a foolish waste of time.
Don't tell Bill Rez that! One of the most memorable fish I ever had the pleasure of witnessing being caught was at about 70' by Bill. We were at the Madison in the park and things had settled down to almost no rises. In a 3' tunnel of logs we saw a nice fish rise consistantly. Bill asked if I saw him then I said 'go for it'. Bill was using a Winston 4 weight of all things with no way to wade closer to the rising fish. In the pure grace that is Bill casting he knew the drift would be good for maybe one second before the fly would start skating. That forced him to put the fly in an area probably smaller than a pie plate and to time the rise. As if in slow motion Bill made the most beautiful cast right on target and right on time and landed that fish. Sometimes me thinks absolutes have no place in fly fishing.
That, my friend, is one of the pure joys of fishing not only with a top-notch fisherman but with a top-notch fly caster.
Sorry for the length but your post brought this of many similiar incidents to mind.

Another thought on the benefits of being able to cast long is that it is near impossible without tight loops. Tight loops come in handy not only for wind and distance but when you have to tuck a back or forward cast loop into a tiny rhodo tunnel. You don't generally get good distance with wide, sloppy loops but you can get more tree's with them!

There ain't no downside to casting well.
After all, casting is an integral part of fly fishing.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:27 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
I have done 130 feet with a 8wt with shooting head setup. and using a 15 foot 2 hander hit the 200 foot mark with a shooting setup on grass. those are the extreme. I can and do cast up to 100 foot all the time. Have put a 6'6" 2 wt out to 80 foot too. most is for my own desire to do so.
Did you put a tape to those casts? If you can actually do that then you are one of the best casters on the planet. Steve Rajeff holds the record in the US for a 2 hand rod at 290. Most casting contests are won with casts of less than 200. Those are done with very long belly lines. Single hand casts are far less. Most contests won with less than 130. I saw Steve Rajeff on video win a contest with a 126'er. 80' on a 6-6 2wt is mind boggeling.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:46 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Did you put a tape to those casts? If you can actually do that then you are one of the best casters on the planet. Steve Rajeff holds the record in the US for a 2 hand rod at 290. Most casting contests are won with casts of less than 200. Those are done with very long belly lines. Single hand casts are far less. Most contests won with less than 130. I saw Steve Rajeff on video win a contest with a 126'er. 80' on a 6-6 2wt is mind boggeling.
Yes on a casting area. like I said I have done it, not everyday but have done it. measured. The 8wt. was easy with 100' of shooting line and 30' of lead core I would put the backing out of the tip. over hand spey was done on a measured casting lawn, only hit it twice but did it. 2wt. can be done but conditions have to be right. (wind etc.) i have seen steve cast and have cast with lefty kreh. I teach casting.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 06-25-2011, 08:26 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I have the same opinion of many others here:

As Randy said:
Quote:
as we improve our ability to cast farther and farther, making shorter casts becomes less and less tiring.
As Jackster said:
Quote:
Another thought on the benefits of being able to cast long is that it is near impossible without tight loops.
As Silver Creek said:
Quote:
The ability to make long cast is needed to just make an average 40 foot cast when the wind is blowing against your cast.
As Swirlchaser said:
Quote:
A well placed fly is VERY important but who doesn't like to see line shooting through their guides?
The the last I would add that a totally flat, fishless day can be turned into a great casting day once it becomes apparant that no fish are going to show.

Many of the skittish saltwater species in the Keys are not catchable on flat days with casts of 35 or 40 feet unless you are wading. But try to catch up to them while wading if they are not headed directly toward you, without them knowing you are there. Others will often follow the fly for an agonizing distance before biting.

But there are rarely flat days here during the height of the tarpon migration. This year, for instance, the average wind speed for the prime three week period was 17 knots or about 19 mph. Many days it was blowing 30. Even casting with winds like these requires good, tight backcast loops.

I think Lefty summed it all up when he said;
Quote:
There is no disadvantage to being able to cast far.
Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-25-2011, 03:06 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Don't tell Bill Rez that! One of the most memorable fish I ever had the pleasure of witnessing being caught was at about 70' by Bill. We were at the Madison in the park and things had settled down to almost no rises. In a 3' tunnel of logs we saw a nice fish rise consistantly. Bill asked if I saw him then I said 'go for it'. Bill was using a Winston 4 weight of all things with no way to wade closer to the rising fish. In the pure grace that is Bill casting he knew the drift would be good for maybe one second before the fly would start skating. That forced him to put the fly in an area probably smaller than a pie plate and to time the rise. As if in slow motion Bill made the most beautiful cast right on target and right on time and landed that fish. Sometimes me thinks absolutes have no place in fly fishing.
That, my friend, is one of the pure joys of fishing not only with a top-notch fisherman but with a top-notch fly caster.
Sorry for the length but your post brought this of many similiar incidents to mind.

Another thought on the benefits of being able to cast long is that it is near impossible without tight loops. Tight loops come in handy not only for wind and distance but when you have to tuck a back or forward cast loop into a tiny rhodo tunnel. You don't generally get good distance with wide, sloppy loops but you can get more tree's with them!

There ain't no downside to casting well.
After all, casting is an integral part of fly fishing.
Great story, Jackster - that must have been one helluva sight to witness.

It is also the exact opposite of what I meant. My point was that casting long distance just for the sake of distance is futile unless you have the supreme ability to do just what your friend Bill did.

This thread was just starting to turn into a brag board about how far one can cast a ___ wt line with a ___ length rod, and I was ready to abandon it. But you brought it to life with a story of a perfect cast to catch a fish of a lifetime. Because size does not always mean "lifetime" fish. Many of my memories of the "best" fishing I've done is because of making the perfect cast, drift just when needed. Thanks for sharing one of your perfect fishing memories.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:03 AM

joyceneese is on a distinguished road

As I have been trying different methods by myself but not good. Also please give me dimensions when and where should i connect them. Please help.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:22 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyceneese View Post
As I have been trying different methods by myself but not good. Also please give me dimensions when and where should i connect them. Please help.
Huh????????
Old 07-27-2011, 07:37 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Huh????????
This quote plus your avitar just made me laugh out loud in my office. Thanks for the good start to a work day Mojo!
Old 07-27-2011, 07:49 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
This quote plus your avitar just made me laugh out loud in my office. Thanks for the good start to a work day Mojo!
I never noticed until you posted that. Glad it was a good start to your day.