The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 05:02 PM

pond fishin is on a distinguished road
Default casting distance

What kind of distance do you guys get when casting? I'm practicing to see just what kind of distance I can get, there seems to always be a time when you wish you could throw just a few more feet. Right now I can get to a little bit over 70' with a 9ft 8wt setup. I've only been throwing for a couple weeks so I figure as my technique gets better I hope to get out further.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: casting distance

Seventy foot casts are pretty darn good 'pond', in my case there are seldom any casts that are much longer. By now you've figured out that consistently casting a fly to such distances takes a considerable amount of energy and not all of the casts work out. I would say that if you are doing this kind of distance after only 2 weeks you are doing great.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yah, what Ard said. Most people never break the 80' or so distance. If you are doing 70 foot casts already you are doing great.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:03 PM

pond fishin is on a distinguished road

Thanks Ard and Dan. I wasn't totally green though when I started a couple weeks ago. I had a fly rod that I used a couple times about 15 years ago. It didn't work well for me and I gave up on it, but I remembered the basic mechanics of a fly cast. Casting that distance is not a normal need for me, just the occasional time when I can't get any closer before I cast. I just wasn't sure what kind of casts I could expect when I get my technique down.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:48 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough

It all depends where I'm fishing and what rod I'm using. With my 5'8" 4wt, I'm normally casting less than 40 or 50 ft. With my 8'9" model, I'll extend my reach by 60 or 70 ft.

When I had my 7'6" 4wt, I was breaking the 65 or 70 foot mark while practice casting. I was measuring these casts with a yardstick for accuracy.

On a boat ramp, dam, dock, or private bridge (or other elevated structure), I'll try to cast the entire flyline for fun!

Cheers,

Robert
Old 06-05-2011, 04:44 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Seriously, I would work very hard at perfecting the basic casting technique before trying for great distance. Taking this in steps will make you a more well rounded fly caster.
With a good, solid foundation you will eventually be able to do everything you need to with grace and uber-smoothness. Between your feet and that 90' cast are many fabulous casts that will help you catch fish when others can't.

Also, just starting out I would highly recommend getting a lesson or two from a certified casting instructor. Some charge, some don't, but in any respect you will find the learning curve greatly reduced and you won't waste hours and rotator cuffs correcting bad habits.

Just a little advice. Okay, maybe a lot.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:43 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

a 30 foot well placed cast will work better than a 70 foot "distance" cast all day every day.

casey

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

i should add that this is only simple casting advice for any caster.

casey

ARFE
Old 06-05-2011, 11:44 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

At this stage of the game, I would not be concerned about distance. Concentrate on your mechanical foundation. From there, distance will come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Also, just starting out I would highly recommend getting a lesson or two from a certified casting instructor. Some charge, some don't, but in any respect you will find the learning curve greatly reduced and you won't waste hours and rotator cuffs correcting bad habits.
That's a darn good idea.

Dennis
Old 06-06-2011, 03:13 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

I can cast out more than 70ft but I rarely need to. Most of the fishing I do is at less than 50ft. I am confident that I can hit my spot accurately at 50. I was casting the other day down at a local salmon hotspot and easily dropping flies at the feet of the other combat fishers on the river who were using bait casting rigs. The length was easily 70ft plus. It only served to **** them off.

If I wanted to double haul I could go further but when it is not necessary...why bother.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:34 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Similar advice here.

When I started out, it was all about distance for me; nothing was ever long enough. But, I wasn't hooking many fish. Now I cast shorter distances; usually under 60' and I get a lot more fish on the line. But, many people still tell me to cast shorter distances, and they're almost always right.

Getting good casting instruction from a certified instructor, as others have suggested, will help you a lot and, in my opinion, there is no good substitute for spending time on the water; it will teach you what kind of distances will be important to you in your fishing. Then you can adjust and perfect your casting for those distances.

70' after only two weeks is really good!

Pocono