The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 10:38 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: need help!

It almost seems as though your initial problem was dirty line or line so clean (as in sqeaky clean by using a lot of detergent to clean it) it simply wouldn't slip through the guides and shoot well or feed back easily when hauling.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:04 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

the wf line is working good, I got to cast a bit in the wind this evening, I took a video but my wide angle was to far away to see much. I may yet post a small segment. I am trying to slow my accelerations down and cast more overhead, but it still seems more natural to cast about 2 ft off my right shoulder. atleast i have no new knots to report on the leader.
mike
Old 06-21-2011, 08:24 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
I am trying to slow my accelerations down and cast more overhead, but it still seems more natural to cast about 2 ft off my right shoulder.
The object is not to slow down your acceleration, but to smoooooth it out.

Casting off at an angle is easier on my body too, but it is good to be able to cast directly overhead as well because it makes accuracy so much easier.

Good to hear you are progressing and optimistic.

About lines: Some WF lines feel to me like I am casting a brick not a fly line. These are the short, heavily front-weighted weight forward lines lilke many "bass tapers" or "outbound shorts". In general, the longer the taper, the solfter they will land on the water. Some are "compound" tapers with more than one taper.

As you get more experience, look at the pictures of the tapers before buying, paying particular notice to not only the length, but where the thickness changes happen.

But for now, just think smooooth acceleration starting just as the line straightens out in the opposite direction. Watch your backcast to see when this happens as an aid to your timing.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-21-2011, 12:27 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

thanks Jim, I plan to cast in the yard more tonight if the storms stay away, otherwise it might be a trail by fire at the water tomarrow. I will likly take off the leader in usign to yardcast and put on the 0x or 1x i picked up, and tie on mono tippet as the yard casting has knotted up the leaded a bit from the first day. ill report back.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:17 PM

well first day on real water was a bust, the creek I had planed to go to has been sweeling from alot of rain over the last few days, and throw in an average of 15-20mph winds that location was a bust, I did get to cast a bit there and did get in a few rollcasts. I decided to try a small pond here, and one side was out of the wind but it was the corner where the grass carp are rolling right now, so more casting practice was had. now that I think about it I dont know what I would have done had one of those leg size carp took the fly haha. maybe next time.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:50 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
well first day on real water was a bust, the creek I had planed to go to has been sweeling from alot of rain over the last few days, and throw in an average of 15-20mph winds that location was a bust, I did get to cast a bit there and did get in a few rollcasts. I decided to try a small pond here, and one side was out of the wind but it was the corner where the grass carp are rolling right now, so more casting practice was had. now that I think about it I dont know what I would have done had one of those leg size carp took the fly haha. maybe next time.
I catch them on a 5WT all the time. Just let them run into the backing a few times and you'll be able to land them.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:27 PM

cool, I guess i need a grass fly now. I do want to get some gills on the line or trout to work on my line handleing, these grass carp where huge, sure would be fun! Need to make me a blog